Airbag Code 61

mackey

Jan 25, 2003
Beverly, Massachusetts
61 Intermittent or Repaired Diagnostic Monitor Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly

I keep getting this code, but I cannot figure out how to repair it. Can someone help. My alternator regulator went and got 18volts the whole ride home. I believe that has something to do with it. Any ideas how to fix?

• Sponsors (?)

Normal Operation
The air bag diagnostic monitor measures the resistance between the ground connection at its bracket and the reference ground at Pin 18. If the air bag diagnostic monitor measures a difference of more than 3.0 ohms between the ground at Pin 18 and the ground at its bracket, the air bag diagnostic monitor will store in memory and flash out a DTC 21 on the air bag indicator. Should the difference in resistance between Pins 18 and air bag diagnostic monitor bracket ground be serviced or otherwise reduced to less than 3.0 ohms, the air bag diagnostic monitor will flash out a DTC 61 (or a higher priority DTC if one exists) on the next ignition switch cycle.

Possible Causes
A high resistance reading at the air bag diagnostic monitor bracket ground can be caused by:

A poor attachment of the air bag diagnostic monitor due to loose mounting, dirt, or corrosion at the air bag diagnostic monitor bracket mounting surface(s).
A poor reference ground at Pins 10 and 18 of the air bag diagnostic monitor Circuit 57 (BK).

airBag95Code61.jpg

Attachments

• airBag95Code61.jpg
    airBag95Code61.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 623