Airbag light/Internal Diagnostic Monitor Fault

just_a_guy84

Jun 27, 2003
Been having some electrical issues with my 1998 mustang cobra. Some of you may remember a post from me awhile back about various trouble lights, phantom tachometer readings, etc. Well this one just started this morning. Flashes 5 times then pauses Flashes 3 more times, pauses and repeats, then stays on. Utilized the search and found code 53 Internal Diagnostic Monitor Fault. So, I would assume that I the monitor is toast yeah? anybody else have this problem? I have also been looking around for a new one to replace it and they are pricey and also look like they are only available from the dealer. Anybody know where I can get one at a better deal, or how I can test mine myself to make sure it is in fact the culprit? I would rather not shell out 300 clams for one of these bad boys if I don't need to, Hell I don't even want to pay Ford the $96, to tell me I need a new one. as always, any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I would like to help you but I need some help. I am unable to locate the air bag procedures in my 96 reference and the codes do not match my 2002 reference.

Can you post up a link to the Air bag diagnostic references?

Ford air bag blink codes

Found a couple of references. Code 53 seams to indicate an intermittent wiring problem to the primary crash sensor (ground fault).

Look for a wiring problem to/from the crash sensor located in the front of the car. The service manual indicates there are two crash sensors. However, I can only find one in the diagrams.

Look for cut/chaffed/loose/corroded/burnt wires. Concertrate on any area where work was done. Consider the possibility that the wiring harness has been damaged installing your NOS system. Look especially close where any wires were passed thru the firewall.

The code indicates there is an intermittent fault so testing could be a real PIA. Suggest that you are familiar with the disarming procedures before working on air bags. Would be very $$ to deploy. At the very least, disconnect the negative battery terminal and jumpper it to the positive terminal before working. Touching positive/negative together will disapate the stored charge.

Good luck.

53 Intermittent or Repaired Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Ground

And This Air bag blink codes:
12=Low Battery Voltage
13=Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Ground
14=Primary Crash Sensor Circuit Shorted to Ground
21=Safing Sensor Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
22=Safing Sensor Output Shorted to Battery Voltage
23=Safing Sensor Circuit Input Feed/Return Circuit Open
24=Safing Sensor Output Feed/Return Circuit Open
32=Driver Side Air Bag Circuit High Resistance or Open
33=Passenger Side Air Bag Circuit High Resistance or Open
34=Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Low Resistance or Shorted
35=Passenger Side Air Bag Circuit Low Resistance or Shorted
41=RH Primary Crash Sensor Feed/Return Circuit Open
42=LH Primary Crash Sensor Feed/Return Circuit Open
44=RH Primary Crash Sensor Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
45=LH Primary Crash Sensor Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
51=Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor Internal Thermal FuseFuse Blown Due to Intermittent Short to Ground
52=Backup Power SupplyVoltage Boost Fault
53=Primary Crash Sensor Circuits Resistance to Ground or Air Bag Diagnostic Fault

>>
air bag light - Corral.net : Ford Mustang Forums

wmburns

thanks again, I will get to looking, I have been checking a lot of the wiring lately because it does seem that somewhere I must have messed something up in connecting my nitrous system, I routed my main nitrous line between the fender and splash guard maybe I damaged a connection behind the fender?

I notice that code 53 still reads or airbag diagnostic fault, however, the primary crash sensor (ground fault). seems to be a lot more likely given the circumstances.

I will let you know if I find anything. thanks.