AIResearch .63 a/r turbo any good?

tiny4lx

Dec 3, 2003
OXFORD PA
i purchased a airesearch turbo, is this turbo any good? the boy i got it from said '' its got a 9.5lb actuator sring in it[make any sense?]". if any good what kind of hp are we talking.everything feels tight.

• Sponsors (?)

we need a little more than that. specifically... T3, T4, T88?
Also, how 'good' the turbo is entirely depends on what you are putting the turbo on.
As for the actuator spring, '9.5lb' would mean it opens the wastegate at 9.5psi to control the boost.
You should post a picture. I would assume this is going on a 2.3l, but there are lots of different styles of T3, and what you have may not work.. if it is even a T3.

yeah i know what your saying.the boy told me it was going on his tc. how can i tell if its a t3,t4 or t88?im putting it on my 2.3 if it will work,im told it will. i have no pics at this moment. i didnt know if there was a way i can tell, i never heard of an airesearch turbo till the other day. just wanted to know if any good.

tiny4lx said:
yeah i know what your saying.the boy told me it was going on his tc. how can i tell if its a t3,t4 or t88?im putting it on my 2.3 if it will work,im told it will. i have no pics at this moment. i didnt know if there was a way i can tell, i never heard of an airesearch turbo till the other day. just wanted to know if any good.

Post a pic or just bring it down here to me an dI'll take a look at it for you. If it doesn't work I'll take it off your hand for you. :nice:

silly guys you want my hair dryer! theres got to be a way to tell what it is.i will get a hold of the guy i got it off of and ask him.as soon as i find out i will let you guys know.thanks for your help!

tiny4lx said:
silly guys you want my hair dryer! theres got to be a way to tell what it is.i will get a hold of the guy i got it off of and ask him.as soon as i find out i will let you guys know.thanks for your help!

A T3 is pretty small, so that would pretty much give it away right there. T4's and T88's are monsters compared to it.

DONT WORRY ABOUT THE FUSS. I just thought it would be easy to find out what turbo i had. Guess not, apears that there is more to it than i thought. I will have pics as sone as i get a chance. thanks everybody!

No I didnt I am new to this all, Only have been a member since dec and have been trying to get as much info as I can on the thing I am doing. For me just the stock SVO and settings is a huge improvement over my N/A 93 engine.

"Have some beef" ?? They're already stout as hell. Without a better intercooler, you won't see any power improvement between 19-24 psi. Just because the turbo can push that hard, doesn't mean your engine will run stronger. Look into reading compressor maps.. That will help you understand airflow and pressure ratings.

Airesearch is Garrett. Same company. The .63 refers to the A/R ratio of the turbine side. The compressor (cold side) should read .50. That's the turbo that was OEM on the pre-87 TC's and the 84-85 SVOs. Unless you've never seen a turbo before, you should be able to visually tell if there's a T4 compressor on it. (I doubt it)

BEEF is aka MODIFICATION[soory tried to be funny, but it didnt work]and i know a little about turbos.if you read other threads i made you would know that im an x v-8 s/c guy.and yes i know big from small and yes im aware what a turbo looks like.i simply asked a question needed an answer tried to be a little funny. So try not to be so ignorant next time.THANKS!