Albany New York

Back in the day the old timers used to tell me the only person I had to beat was me. Every week you'll get better than the last.

I would love to run an OT, but my car will never be up for that. Hell it would run me 2 or 3 grand just to upgrade the brakes. I might try SCCA next year just to run something. After all, it's all about having fun.

Later...D

• Sponsors (?)

50ldster said:
Sweet
Well guys, I have had enough of the damn 2.73's. As soon as the speedo gear comes in from Steeda it's going to Vince's for gears and a t-loc rebuild. I old-farted out and went with 3.55's.
Well? Howed things end up? Are you happy with the change? And how much did they charge you?
Jay

Albany NY - Dealership / Alignment Shop referrals wanted

I tried other forums, but I figured I would give you guys a try. Where do you take your modified stangs for service?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am looking for 2 knowledgable / trusted / experienced shops in the Albany NY area to do work on my stang.

I bought the car at Orange Ford and may bring the car there. 2 things I need done is the TSB for the tranny as well as any others and they need to check for a fluid leak somewhere. I have a small leak coming from somewhere. Not sure where it is, and would prefer to have somone look at it whole will not tear the whole car apart and tell me they cannot find it... Oh - 1 other thing, I have a Tri-ax installed and 1) do not want to remove it and 2) do not want a hassle from the dealership.

The other shop I need is a good alignment shop with experience aligning a lowered stang. I put in Steeda Sport Springs without C/C plates and want to have it alligned.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated...

Is it a recall or a tsb cause tsb do not refer to every car they are there for the tech for diag help if it is a weird problem or a constant problem then the manufacturer will usually put out a tsb.The shifter should not matter cause it not affecting anything unless it is leaking which in that case just pull it off and reseal it.As for alighnment any shop that does them should not have any problem doing it especially seeing that you installed caster camber plates with those it does not take long at all I did mine at work in about 20 minutes so if you bring it to ford they should be able to do it there without a problem.

90whitepony said:
Is it a recall or a tsb cause tsb do not refer to every car they are there for the tech for diag help if it is a weird problem or a constant problem then the manufacturer will usually put out a tsb.The shifter should not matter cause it not affecting anything unless it is leaking which in that case just pull it off and reseal it.As for alighnment any shop that does them should not have any problem doing it especially seeing that you installed caster camber plates with those it does not take long at all I did mine at work in about 20 minutes so if you bring it to ford they should be able to do it there without a problem.

Thanks for your response...

To clarify:

The TSB is number 04-15-6, specifically for the 2001-2003 Mustangs with the Tremac TR3650 5-speed Tranny. There is a kit with a bunch of parts to replace.

On the alignment, I did NOT install new C/C plates. They are the factory plates. I went with what all posters suggest - that I did not need them with less than a 1.5" drop.

Have you worked with any tire shops (Goodyear or Warren Tire for example) or with any of the local Ford Dealer Service Departments?

Thanks

Ya you dont really need them but I found it easier to alighn it.I am tech at wedikind pontiac so I do everything myself .I have not looked at the tsb but if you are haveing a problem with your tranny and the tsb refers to it than you might have a problem but if you are not experiancing anything than I would not worry about the tsb its like I said they are more for diag purposees for the tech if someone is having a problem.

90whitepony said:
Ya you dont really need them but I found it easier to alighn it.I am tech at wedikind pontiac so I do everything myself .I have not looked at the tsb but if you are haveing a problem with your tranny and the tsb refers to it than you might have a problem but if you are not experiancing anything than I would not worry about the tsb its like I said they are more for diag purposees for the tech if someone is having a problem.

Gotcha - I know where you are (based on the GTOs). My dad is a retired mechanic downstate, and we can do a lot of the work and would install plates if I need to, but I will let the dealership do the work on the tranny (yes I have the problem, but it is more of a PITA than anything else) and research the small fluid leak under warrenty. The TSB is for a grinding between 1st and second and trannies popping out of gear. I have the grind, but no popping yet.

Also, I do not have access to a rack to do an alignment so I am looking for a reputable alignment shop.

What have you heard in the dealer community of Orange Motor's service department? Anything I need to be aware of?

Thanks...

Jay - Went about $450 for gears, t-lock rebuild kit, bearings and seals, $235 for Moser axels, and about $325 for labor. Grand total $1005. WHAT a difference the 3.55s make. I'm glad I didn't go any lower. The 3.55s and the stiff suspension make it a little loose in the back end on a tight one. I'll have to learn to drive all over again before I try Solo!

Whitepony - how did you do at the valley?

SO they are probably going to replace the blocker rings or the whole synchro assembly its a fairly easy job.Just about every dealer has a couple of guys that are mainly trans techs so you probably dont need to be worried about it.The manuel trans in these cars are simple I can have my t5 rebuilt in a couple of hours.I have not heard anything about any ford shops in the area everyone I know pretty much does there own work .I would rather not talk about the valley I got one real good run in especially for the first time doing it I will post the times below.I was in line for my next run looked at my voltage gauge which was at 8 and dropping so low and be hold my 3g alternater crapped out on me it could have been shot on the first run.Ever since that happened my car will not idle and it is starting to piss me off I have tried everything.I got a 13.364 at 104.7 with a .197 reaction and 1.952 60 foot so I would say that is pretty good for the first time.A little tuning I should be able to break into the 12's.

Wow .. been a while since I was in here. Job hunting has taken up pretty much all of my time.

---

Any of you folks know of a place to get my intake (and maybe cams at this point if I can get it done cheap enough while the engine is open) replaced?

I'm in overly DIRE need of repair, I blew out the crappy '98 plastic intake and I'm puking fluid so badly I have a gallon jug of water for refills when I stop somewhere. I'm scared it'll crack worse and dump coolant into my engine instead of down the outside but without a car I'm screwed.

I called a pretty solid majority of local Ford dealers, and none of them even care there was a TSB on the intake. It seems to only have applied to 96-97 Mustangs (even though my intake is the same).

Taked to service at Orange Ford and the guy told me prices started at $1200 total for the repair ... seems REALLY high.

They're quoting the replacement intake kit at $589.17.

I can find a better, PI intake online for around $150 shipped and grab the extras (gaskets, ect) from ford to save big bucks on the parts, but ... like ... then I don't think the dealership would put it in for me, or warranty it.

I'd do the work myself, but I'm lucky I can swing a hammer the right way and not injure myself.

When it rains it pours though... no job, cracked intake, my winter beater is pretty much dead ...

.. any help/info appreciated, please :)

50ldster said:
Jay - Went about $450 for gears, t-lock rebuild kit, bearings and seals, $235 for Moser axels, and about $325 for labor. Grand total $1005. WHAT a difference the 3.55s make. I'm glad I didn't go any lower. The 3.55s and the stiff suspension make it a little loose in the back end on a tight one. I'll have to learn to drive all over again before I try Solo!
QUOTE]
What kind of gears were they? sorry for such a delay, took almost a month to get computer rolling again in the new house. Living in Clifton Park these days. Man I hate this town already!
Oldster did you see the write up on John and his father-in-law in the Times Union a couple of weeks ago?