Roush Alcon Saga

lgndracer

Feb 21, 2004
Sumner, WA
About a year ago I ran across a set of Alcon calipers for sale on a racing forum. He was asking a pretty fair price, and they came with the adaptors so I picked them up. Once I got them, and they looking in good shape, I ordered a set of Baer S351 replacement front rotors, a set of Goodridge lines, and a set of Porterfield pads for the front. In the rear I ordered up a set of matching pads, and the Baer 13" rear rotor kit so the front and rear matched appearence wise.

Since it should have been a "bolt on", I decided to have a local shop do the work during the day so I could get the car back quick.

Couple of hours after I dropped the car off, I got a call saying the brackets didn't fit. Needless to say I was pretty puzzled. I had been taking to Joe at Chicane before ever buying the calipers, and he told me to make sure the brackets came with them, and they should all be the same. I went down to the shop and took a couple of photos to send to Joe to show him the problem. The bolt spread where it bolted to the spindle was too wide. Once he got the photos, he was surpised to see that the brackets were for a fox body. He also told me good luck finding a set of the brackets for the Alcons, he had a set he could get copied but it would probably be between $400 and $500 for the set.

So I started digging on the net, and found that Roush used the same Alcon on thier cars. They actually had a prodcution bracket available through Roush parts for about $100 a set. So I ordered them up. They came in, and I took them over to the shop where the car was so they could finally get it back together.

Well, I should have done a little more research. The Roush cars use a 14" rotor and a dfferent offset on the hat. The shop went ahead and assembled it using a set of spacers to comensate for the offset difference, but left the caliper about 1/4" above the rotor. They then called me and told me it was done, but the pad didn't quite go down on the rotor all the way, but would still be much better than the stock set up. That was when I realized I was going to have to get the car home and pull it all apart myself (which is what I should have just done from the beginning). Luckily I only live only about 5 miles from this shop, mostly freeway. So I picked up the car, and drove real mellow as not to use hardly any brake.

After getting the car home and up on blocks, I had a friend of mine who is a machinist come over and start taking measurements. He then made me a set of super nice adaptors. I started getting it back together this weekend, and took a few photos.

This is the set of Saleen brackets that came with the calipers

122560.jpg

This is the set we made

122564.jpg

Here they are side by side

122568.jpg

This is the adaptor on the caliper

122555.jpg

This is the adaptor on the spindle

122556.jpg

Here it is all together (Notice the wear line where the pad was from driving the 5 miles home)

122557.jpg

I've got them off right now to get powder coated, then when they get back I can finally get this project finished.

Mike

• Sponsors (?)

When working properly the Alcons are the most superior brakes I have ever owned. It's obvious you had to go through a lot to get your setup to work but look at all of the Alcon/Saleen knowledge you picked up.

Nice job and be sure to post final pics. Love the drilled rotors with the tough Alcon calipers. ///

You can Use a set of Baer Rotors with Alcons on the front???? Did you have to use a Bump Steer Kit and spacer to use the Baer Rotors on the front instead of the hard to find/expensive OEM Alcon Rotors??