alignment needed for bigger/wider wheels & tires???

i just upgraded to 18x10 in rear and 18x9 in front from previously 17x9 all the way around...is it necessary to get an alignment even if my current tires have worn pretty evenly and i have not noticed any alignment issues previously? (last one done was approx 1.5 years ago when i got lowered)

i have searched the forums but cant find the perfect answer..i dont care about the $ its more of just finding someone who can deal properly with CC plates and making time to get it done etc..

thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

Yes! When I swapped from the std. 16 x 7.5 wheels on my '98 GT to the polished 17 x 8 cobra wheels, some "toe" wear started to show some time later. I had the alignment checked and the toe was slightly toed out.

I didn't think there would be an issue with the change but, there was a slight one.

The previous tires were worn to the indicators but, worn evenly none the less. I stood & watched my buddy straighten it out on the alignment machine so I know he wasn't BS'n me.

GT

No.

You do not need to change the alignment when swapping wheels and tires. Especially if you just had it done 1.5 years ago.

Now, it might be a good idea to protect your investment (your tires) but there is no reason why you would need to re-align. Alignment problems are typically magnified when you go to wider tires.

I've always been led to believe that the wider the front tires, the slightly more toe in is called for. I.E the closer you put it to the "toe innermost" of the specification range. Please correct me if my info is wrong.
Just my $.02,
Gene

I've always been led to believe that the wider the front tires, the slightly more toe in is called for. I.E the closer you put it to the "toe innermost" of the specification range. Please correct me if my info is wrong.
Just my $.02,
Gene

That's news to me. Why would you want more toe in? Wouldn't that just wear out the tires faster?

The way it was explained to me is that there is a certain small amount of flex in the steering system and that the natural tendency is for the tires to pull outwards and the wider the tire the greater the pull.
Just my $.02,
Gene