alignment problems with bassani exhaust

Blue 98 GT

Oct 9, 2003
Richmond, TX
I have a Bassani off-road x-pipe and a Bassani aft-cat set up (quiet thunder) for a 98 GT. I've had it for over a year, but have never been able to get the right tip (as viewed from the rear) to line up properly. after taking it apart and putting it back together many times, it appears that the u-bend that goes over the axle is too high and is too close to the bumper. there really is no way to adjust it so it fits. the left side fits fine. the left tip sticks straight out, but the right one tilts toward the ground. anyone experience these problems?

also, has anyone had problems with ground clearance with a bassani x-pipe???

• Sponsors (?)

My friend and I did on his 98. He took it to a muffler shop and they were able to push it up out of the way. I've also heard a lot of people having fitment issues with bassani's cat-back also.

Blue 98 GT:

Bit of a long shot here but you can try rotating the flow tube (the short piece between the outlet of the intermediate pipe and the muffler. Also, you have some adjustment length-wise by pushing/pulling the tailpipe and flow tube in/out of the muffler. You can call Bassani, too, and ask what else they can suggest but the answer depends on the experience of the person answering the phone. If all this doesn't help, your only choice is to head for the muffler shop.

Sorry to hear about your alignment troubles. I hope these suggestion help out.

Mine has a problem very similar to this but its so small that I just haven't even bothered to fix it. My midpipe scrapes on things too if I go over a bump too fast. I think your only option is to go to a muffler shop. Let me know how much its gonna cost you if you do it. When I lower mine I think I will have to modify my xpipe. PM me and let me know please.

MT1083:

The new x-pipe should not be any lower than the stock intermediate pipe. If it is an off-road pipe, then the clearance improves because there are no cats.

One trick to getting the x-pipe in the right plane is to use a 2x4 on a floor jack to hold the x-pipe parallel with the bottom of the car before tightening up the flanges. If you do this, you will have no clearance issues.

Be warned that with lowering springs, you need to take speed bumps very, very slowly. In fact, I crawl over them at a 30 to 45 degree angle (so one wheel at a time), if there is room to do so. No scrapes or smashed cats.

Blue 98 GT:

I meant to say in my first post that you can rotate the flow tubes clockwise and counter-clockwise (looking into the tube). You will see that the flow tube will move up/down as it is rotated and this helps with the alignment of the whole cat-back. Sorry if my initial post was not very clear.
Chris