All-Season Tires

RedDaemon

10 Year Member
Mar 31, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I probably have about 4 years and 35k miles on at least 2 of the four of my tires. Theyre in need of replacing.

If you had a choice of ONLY all season tires (in 245/45/17R) what would you choose?

For the entire time I have had my car I have had Cooper Zeon ZPT's on them. I am actually very happy with the way they perform considering they are pretty cheap. I have considered switching to the Cooper 2XS's as reviews seem to indicate theyre a bit better.

Is there any other tire I should look at? I dont want to spend a fortune on all seasons either.

What about the General Altimax HP? Its in the same price category:shrug:

I would consider BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S if they had a better user rating. Maybe you could convince me otherwise:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I have Firestone FR710's on my daily (225-60-16) and I think they're great (good ride, decent handling, good in the snow and in the rain, etc...). I have no idea what to suggest for you man, because when my Mustang was my daily I purchased 16" 5 spoke v-6 wheels and winter tires while I had the nice summer treads on the factory 17" wheels.

Are you still driving that red mustang? What about buying a second set of wheels :shrug:

i cant throw down for a new (used) set of rims + 2 sets of tires at the moment so that i can have summer tires on one and winter tires on the other. especially since idk if i will be living in the NE for very much longer, therefore not needing winter tires.

i guess i could just by new summer tires for the car and be done with it for now. but the potential for snow to fall is still in the realm of possibility making my car well useless if that happens.

i have been holding off for a while on getting tires but the sidewalls have been splitting for a while and needs to be addressed asap

I put Continental ExtremeContact DWS on mine in the fall and they are outstanding and reasonably priced. The tread pattern isn't as sexy as a summer tire but wet and cold traction is really, really good. I'm not sure they don't do better in cold, wet weather than the Khumo ASX I had on there before did in dry warm weather. Unfortunately, I haven't got to try out the snow performance - living in Alabama, that's not something I was really concerned about when looking but they're highly rated for snow too.

I put Continental ExtremeContact DWS on mine in the fall and they are outstanding and reasonably priced. The tread pattern isn't as sexy as a summer tire but wet and cold traction is really, really good. I'm not sure they don't do better in cold, wet weather than the Khumo ASX I had on there before did in dry warm weather. Unfortunately, I haven't got to try out the snow performance - living in Alabama, that's not something I was really concerned about when looking but they're highly rated for snow too.

I forgot about those. My dad installed them on his STS-V and he says they are a fantastic all season tire.

I forgot about those. My dad installed them on his STS-V and he says they are a fantastic all season tire.

i will look into them :nice:

i think i am going to choose the Generals. For the minimal performance differences (when looking at spec sheets), i think the ~80 bucks i save for not getting the Continentals will pay the shipping costs of the Generals

thanks guys for your advice. i do appreciate it :nice:

i do agree, the tread pattern is much nicer on the generals:
ge_altimax_hp_ci2_l.jpg

i've had my cheap, CLEAR brand tires for about a year now.

very happy with em, with all the snow & ice we had in north TX, last month
i drove to and from work. and had 0 issues. 265/35/18 $60 EA, new

Kumho AST's are almost total crap on snow and ice, and not real good the rest of the year, either. I'd avoid them.

BFG KDWS were great on dry and wet pavement, but not great on snow and ice.

The problem is most all-season tires are only marginally good for one winter season in my experience. And they are best when you buy them right before winter. You end up buying new tires every year and a half or so. And the second winter sucks to drive - totally defeating the whole point in buying all-season tires in the first place.

It's almost better to buy summer tires at the tail end of winter, and save your money for cheap used 16" V6 wheels and winter tires next fall. Snow tires ought to be good for several winters, and your summer tires ought to last two seasons. But I do understand not having the money for a new set of wheels and two sets of tires.

snow is one thing, but when you're talking about an actual sheet of ice. NO tire in the world, is going do help you. unless they have studs

BTW, "SteedaGT9150" yes the G force sport tires are really good, dry/wet

Sounds like you already made ur decision however I have another vote for the Continental Extreme Contact tires. Living in Utah we see a TON of snow and I couldn't believe how good those tires did. I ended up having two sets of them before I eventually got the KDW tires and made the Stang a summer only vehicle.

I would also keep a couple of bags of rock salt in the trunk (they weigh about 40 pounds each) and I could drive pretty much anywhere with reasonable traction on snow.

wanted to follow up on this thread for others with similar questions.....

change of plans! i am relocating to Atlanta, GA for a new job. With that said all-seasons are unnecessary. therefore i am going with these on all fours once the check clears NITTO Extreme Performance NT555 Tire (245/45-17) at AmericanMuscle - Free Shipping!

shouldnt be too much of a surprise!

Good choice! :nice:

Just put a new set of these on my car in the 275/40-17 size. This tire actually hooks my 325 rwhp car really well! I went cruising down the interstate a few days ago at about 75 mph in the pouring down rain. Had absolutely NO problems. I absolutely love these tires.

AWESOME!

i need to get these before i travel down in the car.

i thought about trailoring the car with a uhaul but driving something of that length for that distance doesnt seem fun. plus its easier to find parking at hotels just driving the car haha

GREAT choice! :nice:

Just put a new set of these on my car in the 275/40-17 size. This tire actually hooks my 325 rwhp car really well! I went cruising down the interstate a few days ago at about 75 mph in the pouring down rain. Had absolutely NO problems. I absolutely love these tires.

fixed your quote for ya :nice:

These tires are simply the best imo for the daily driver. They wear extremely well and grip the road nicely. Let out a little bit of air at the track and they make for a suitable track tire so long as you don't have tons of power. Enjoy them, they will last you a long time :flag: