All Seasons...really?

MoshpitMad

Oct 26, 2011
Albany, NY
So my 2012 GT came with 235/50/18 all-seasons. Haven't touched snow until this morning.

Less than an inch on the ground, I was gonna make a quick, under 5 mile roundtrip, excursion to the store. Made it about 400ft in my neighborhood spinning the whole way, before I decided to turn around and not attempt the hill on the way.

WTF...why bother? Give me full snows for Colorado, or dedicated summers in a real width. It's a Mustang GT for crying out loud. What kind of compromise is this? Let's make both aspects of driving crappy?

• Sponsors (?)

Yep, my GT came with those Pirelli's too. Same size. I ran them last winter and they did "okay", but OH doesn't have the hills to deal with like my home state of PA, and certainly not like CO! They do need a light touch to get around with.

I just put Blizzak's on it last week! :D

Ford doesn't put all seasons on Mustangs so they are usable in the snow, Mustangs suck in the snow no matter what kind of tires they have. All season tires make them usable in the cold weather. The rubber used in all season tires remain pliable in cold temps so traction and ride quality are still good. The rubber in summer tires do not. My 10 has the Track Pack so it came with the same 255/40-19 P-Zero summer tires that come on the 11 and up Brembo cars, and I can tell you from personal experience in anything below 45F its like driving with greased rocks for tires. Even on dry pavement there is no traction and the ride is beyond hard. It does get better once the tires heat up, but until they do the car is unsafe. As for snow? 400 feet dowm my street? I can't get out of my driveway. So even though your car still sucks in the snow at least on the cold dry 30F days you can still enjoy it while mine stays parked. (or did I just ordered all seasons )

Wait...so you want them to sell it with two sets of tires?

No, gimme summers...or gimme dedicated snow tires. I knew I was going to buy summers and a dedicated set of rims for them, but this kinda forces me to buy winter tires also.

I'm glad I have the wife's STi in the garage when it snows.

By no means is this a "trolling" thread...I love my new Mustang, and have no regrets about buying it. It's like the 1-4 fuel economy shift though...I ask myself "what were they thinking?"

Ford doesn't put all seasons on Mustangs so they are usable in the snow, Mustangs suck in the snow no matter what kind of tires they have. All season tires make them usable in the cold weather. The rubber used in all season tires remain pliable in cold temps so traction and ride quality are still good. The rubber in summer tires do not. My 10 has the Track Pack so it came with the same 255/40-19 P-Zero summer tires that come on the 11 and up Brembo cars, and I can tell you from personal experience in anything below 45F its like driving with greased rocks for tires. Even on dry pavement there is no traction and the ride is beyond hard. It does get better once the tires heat up, but until they do the car is unsafe. As for snow? 400 feet dowm my street? I can't get out of my driveway. So even though your car still sucks in the snow at least on the cold dry 30F days you can still enjoy it while mine stays parked. (or did I just ordered all seasons )

good thing I live in california. not much cold weather unless I got up to the mountains. But other than that I loved my Goodyear Eagle GTs on my v6. Im gnna get them on my GT now. Theyre All Season too. woot

No, gimme summers...or gimme dedicated snow tires. I knew I was going to buy summers and a dedicated set of rims for them, but this kinda forces me to buy winter tires also.

I'm glad I have the wife's STi in the garage when it snows.

By no means is this a "trolling" thread...I love my new Mustang, and have no regrets about buying it. It's like the 1-4 fuel economy shift though...I ask myself "what were they thinking?"

SVTPilot pretty much summed it up in his post. All-season doesn't mean all-conditions.

They are dangerous in cold weather. I totaled a vette when it was 10 degrees outside, i took a bend in the highway at the same speed i had taken in many other cars, even cadillac devilles lol. The vette just started sliding like i was on ice

Wait a second... so you can all of a sudden just SPIN OUT on dry pavement if you have summer tires in freezing weather?

My rear tires are 285 wide, for my 11" wheels, and all tirerack had were "max performance summer" which is the 2nd most sticky tire from those extreme summers. So I have a fresh set of Yokohama ADVANs and they're sticky. I have around 400 whp, I need sticky and wide, else i'll spin out.

On my last (FWD) car, I used "ultra high performance summer",which is the 3rd most sticky type of tire, in single digit temps. I even drove it in the snow for a couple of days because school was back in session since the roads were 75% cleared. No problems with the tires.

This is my only car so I guess the best thing I can do is drive *really* easy in below-freezing temps? I'll probably try to get some cheap 9 inch wide rear wheels, and slap some all seasons on there for my next winter. It only snows ~2x per year, but it will be well below freezing for most December/Jan. I simply dont have the money right now for that

Oh, and as far as driving this thing in winter, it has the ancient rear axle, no way in hell am I going to drive it in the snow, even if the roads are somewhat clear

I drove my Mustang through 3 winters in North Dakota without issue... I just had BFGoodrich all-season tires and it wasn't at all difficult to drive...

I don't understand why people are so incompetent when it comes to driving on snow or ice. All season tires today are better than any tires sold in the 1960's AND those cars all were RWD w/o traction or stability control and large torquey V-8's, yet people seemed to get around fine back then. IMO winter tires are for people who don't know how to drive.

Reactions: 1 user
I drove my Mustang through 3 winters in North Dakota without issue... I just had BFGoodrich all-season tires and it wasn't at all difficult to drive...

I don't understand why people are so incompetent when it comes to driving on snow or ice. All season tires today are better than any tires sold in the 1960's AND those cars all were RWD w/o traction or stability control and large torquey V-8's, yet people seemed to get around fine back then. IMO winter tires are for people who don't know how to drive.

I had no issues with my RWD Grand Prix back in the 90's in upstate NY, but for some reason this car just slides and will not grip on any snow. Not sure what's different.