almost had a encounter with a 96-98 Cobra last night

VIPERn94Five-0

Founding Member
Apr 28, 2002
Poughkeepsie, NY
on my way home last night from dinner with my gf there was a 96-98 Cobra right along side me for quite some time not going anywhere.....as we came around a turn to a place decent enough to punch it there must have beeen an accident up the road, going the other way (were on a pretty main road, 3 lanes in each diection) cuz there is like 6-7 Cops and some tow trucks....well that squashed the racing chances....but anyway, what do you think my chances were....it would have been from a roll....maybe 35-50mph....

• Sponsors (?)

yeah, I believe they were rated at 300 hp at the crank. Times I would say are generally in the high to mid 13s. Of course everyone and their mother is gonna say thats wrong and that they got this and that time but thats a general idea.

jmuva44 said:
yeah, I believe they were rated at 300 hp at the crank. Times I would say are generally in the high to mid 13s. Of course everyone in their mother is gonna say thats wrong and that they got this and that time but thats a general idea.
well with my bolt ons i should prolly be able to run in the high 13's....when i add pulleys and gears definatly mid 13's with traction....

GEARS.. Are what u need to beat stock or near stock Cobras. All my mods in my sig come out to 249rwhp my friend with a 98 cobra O/R X, Throttle body, and catback put down 279rwhp. So they are no joke. From a stop or slow 1st gear roll we are pretty dead even but i can usually get him. But on the freeway he usually gets me. So it could have been even depending on what he had done and what MPH u were at.

They run 98-100mph bone stock, and can hit 103-104 with the common mods. From a stop if you got traction you might get a ok jump, but once you have to go into 3rd he would probably pull on you. Even with your mods you may still be in the 14's since you have the stock 3.08's.

96-98 Cobra's run roughly the same times as the 99+ GT's. High 13's to low 14's. I asked the guys in the 4.6 forums and that's what they told me, so that's the info from the guys who really should know.

Unfortunately I've never gotten the chance to race one. There are a couple around here but I've had no luck getting beside one of them when they're in the mood to play. I can't wait to eat my first snake!!

i saw this thread and just decided to jump in, so anyways, when my cobra was bone stock, i ran 13.9 at 100 with a 2.3 60'. then with exhust, ran 13.6 @ 101.95 with a 2.1 60. both runs were on kumo 711 street tires, with bad track prep cause i got lazy and didnt feel like doin anymore work that day. but what everyone is sayin is right, 4 vavles are not really good at low rpms, but fro a roll, about 4 grand and up, (speed dependin on gears) the cobras come ALIVE!best bet for ya, is 3.73s and DR's from a stop, and hope he spins.