Alright I need some HP limit questions answered

speedy66

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2000
glendale,arizona,usa
Ok.. my lovely girlfriend suprised me with a gift this week.. The Roush Racing 427R stroker motor!!!! roughly 550bhp and 530+ ft/lbs torque. Ok now with the questions..

1. Will a stock c4 handle that much power?

2. Should I get solid motor mounts?

3. 8" rearend capable of that much power?

4. radiator??

• Sponsors (?)

how did you find a girl like that, WOW!

The stock C4 won't handle it for long, but it can be made to handle quite easily/affordably. As for the 8", you've got to be kidding, not a chance on that one. Motor mounts will be ok, just add a torque strap. The radiator will likely need to be upgraded. Maybe the girlfriend can foot the bill for all that too!

might want to invest in some subframe connectors and by some stock in your favorite tire company while you're at it.

See my sig. For the past 3 months all I have done while driving the Mustang is warm it up to operating temp and proceed to do huge burnouts and do WOT blasts to 130+mph.

I also have a Ron Davis radiator, it is definitely not a "work of art" as they claim on their webpage. It's not square (so it obviously crooked when you look at the rad from the front of the car) and a lot of the fins were messed up when I got it. But it cools fine.

speedy66 said:
Ok.. my lovely girlfriend suprised me with a gift this week.. The Roush Racing 427R stroker motor!!!! roughly 550bhp and 530+ ft/lbs torque. Ok now with the questions..

4. radiator??

1. Not for long

2. Up to you.

3. No.

4. I love my griffin :D

speedy66 said:

4. radiator??

1. Stock - No, built - yes without a doubt. I run a C4 behind a healthy stroker on slicks and it has lasted for two seasons. PA racing makes some nice ones that will hold lots of HP.

2. I would try to find some TCP ones around somewhere or modify yours into solid. I have TCP and have had zero issues.

3. No, even though your car will not hook on street tires it will frag. Currie is a good choice. I have the stage 2 muscle car rear from Currie with Detroit true trac and 3:7 gears and it was worth the money. No problems, no maintenance. With that much power in a 66 coupe I would suggest 5 leaf mid or reverse eye leafs and sub frames. Again that's wht I have with no wheel hop and it is solid.

4. Radiator - I bought my aluminum radiator from an ebay store and fabbed brackets (169.00). The car never runs over 185 to 195 in the hot Missouri weather.

BTW, nice motor. Pretty sure it's based on a 351W block so the taller deck is going to require some creativity on the headers to get some nice sized primary tubes. I know a guy who sourced a nice set from Hooker, special order.

Good luck!!