Also new to the 2.3L

furvel

Feb 28, 2004
Ohio
I gotta say, this forum rocks!! Already have seen lots of useful info here that I couldn't find anywhere else. I reviewed the custom cold air intakes for the 91-93 2.3L. Okay, I'll admit that's more than I want to bite off right now (Yea, I'm a wuss). My question is what the heck is that fat ribbed section of the intake between the the air sensor and the manifold?? It looks like some kind of baffle or silencer; if so it would impede air flow to some degree. One could easily replace that whole section (sensor to manifold), if it would be of any benefit. Any thoughts on this?? I've already installed a K&N in the stock air box, and am pleased with the results. I'm just looking for any easy (and likely subtle) improvements that can be made. Just think of it as modding for dummies. Ive got a 92 convertible 2.3 5 sp, and have upgraded from the stock 14's (yuk) to BFG 15's with 87-90 GT turbine wheels (E-Bay). Not exactly a dyno buster, but I just wanted a cruiser anyway. Thanks for any help!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to the forums. That "fat ribbed section" is actually the air silencer. Some people insist that its the "resonator" and the silencer is somewhere else, but that's just not true.

Anyway, yes you can easily replace that with a section of 3" PVC pipe (or 3.5" exhaust pipe), it should just slide right in. One very nice thing about replacing the silencer is that it gives your intake a nice growl :)

Hey welcome to the groups.

I would go back and read some of the old strings to get cought up on some of the simple mods like that CAI kit. Making the CAI seems a tab bit more than a new person to cars would want to do, but don't let it fool you its pretty easy to do.

The main improvement people do is to drop in a 2.3T ( Turbo) Ford out of a 87-88 TC ( Thunderbird / turbo coupe) this motor with a the T-5 ( stick) set up is like 190hp. Now 190hp is nothing to laugh about since a 93' GT is like 210hp and its a V-8. One of the coolest sites is Stingers its got the turbo swap and rear end swaps etc on it.

http://projecthp.ford23.com/dailydriver.html

Or if you don't want to do the turbo swap they do make some cheap Nitrous kits and sell them on ebay

Good Luck and have fun :nice:

Thanks Red_LX, that's what I thought it might be. I work in aviation and have access to aircraft ducting called Ceet (Silicone exterior, wire wound with fabric liner on the inside diameter of the ducting allows air to flow smoothly even in tight bends). I think the specs should be sufficient (For use in hot or cold air applications and for conveying fumes at temperatures ranging from -65ºF to +300ºF. Not recommended for conveying liquids or highly abrasive materials, or for negative pressure applications). Unless there is a reason I should consider PVC instead. Thanks for all the help!!!

I would suppose that depends on what PSI you're dealing with. It is used for engine compartment applications (like blast air for pump cooling, exhaust heat exchange, etc.) but fairly low pressure levels. You can check out aircraft ducting and more at http://www.hbdthermoid.com/product_overview.htm. CEET is available where aircraft parts are sold. Dash number indicates I.D.; CEET-8 is 2", CEET-12 is 3", etc. Usually sells for about $7 or $8 per foot, depending on size of course. Hope I helped!!! SEE CORRECTION IN NEXT MESSAGE!!!!

Whoa there, Realtripp - I was wrong. CEET does not have a silicone exterior. The correct product is SCEET, red in color, exterior and inner liner is fiberglass fabric impregnated and coated with silicone rubber, -80 to +550 degrees operating temp. If you have a fax number, I could send you a spec sheet on the product from one of our catalogs. Might help to make things clear - sorry for the mixup.