Alternator Cutoff Switch

Stump1000

Apr 5, 2003
Morristown Tn
I was just wondering if anyone around here has ever tried to put a switch on your alternator. There seems to be quite a bit of drag on it with the key on. I just wonder how much it'll help in the 1/4 if any. If you've tried it please let me know. :D

• Sponsors (?)

Umm.. I think you misunderstand this post... and your reply you posted. It's pretty simple. Let me break it down a little for you, the alternator takes away horsepower from the motor when it is being turned, the more things you have on in the car... like lights, electric fans, radio anything will make the alternator harder to turn. Taking away more horsepower. Well, I dont like for things to take away horsepower especially when im at the track. I can unplug the alternator and it has no drag on the engine. I guess if i dont get any good replies i'll just try that my next trip to the track. Thanks anyways

you wont get good spark either, my friends alternator went and he was driving around burning up his optima battery like a dumbass because he didnt care and his car ran like crap.

stump, if you are gonna unplug it and do it anyways. I hope you have a trailor or something to carry it home. It might and might not hurt the car but just take it so you don't have to pay a wrecker to take it back home. Good luck.

It's a good thought, but it probably will decrease performance. Mustangs are pretty voltage sensitive. I would bother disconnecting it, and if you do, disconnect the field wire, not the main wire.

Kurt

like any of you morons have never left your lights on over night and the battery went dead??? or the alt. went bad and drove on the battery. holy crap, you guys are pansies. its not gonna "fry" the computer. he will be perfectly fine for 15 freakin' seconds. and its not like hes gonna shut the car off before he can turn the alt. back on in the traps.

just run a decent sized battery and give it a whirl. although all said and done. i dont know if it will help the the et. and it might make spark weaker. but the way i feel. with all the stupid msd boxes or splitfire plugs... as long as the spark is hot enough to light the hole, its hot enough to light the hole. and if the timeings right the timings right. i mean what the hell.