Alternator Wiring How-To

speed1972

Founding Member
Mar 13, 2002
Denver, CO - Buckley AFB
Can anyone explain the proper procedure for wiring an alternator and external regulator from scratch? I've done the research and all I find are wiring diagrams which do not explain how to connect it. There are 3 connections on the alternator and 3 connections on the regulator. Also, I'm pretty set sticking with my setup and do not want to accomplish the 3G swap right now.

thank you for any help you have,
LB

• Sponsors (?)

Just curious

If you bought the premade harness from the regulator to the altanator, wouldn`t it have instructions?

Maybe someone that sells the harness might have website with some tech info.

Just trying to help. Thats what I would do if I were you.

Does this help?

66circuit.jpg

Attachments

• 66circuit.jpg
    66circuit.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 229
check out www.mustangsteve.com and look up the tech article on gen to alt conversion. it has the diagram for wiring the alternator and external regulator properly.

That definitely hit the nail on the head for what I was looking for!!! Thank you.

Everyone else, thank you for your input as it definitely pointed me in the right direction! I was just missing those couple defining pieces....

LB

Ok so I rewired everything, put a new voltage regulator on, and had the alternator checked but I still get nothing. Could they have possibly not run the alternator check correctly? I really don't know what else it could be at this point. Any opinions?

LB

Ok so I may have realized something here but I have no intentions of installing one but here goes the quote from another forum....

"After everything was in I started her up, and she wasn't charging! After re-checking wiring and testing wires for breaks, I eventually remembered someone on the forum mentioning that the charging circuit needs the resitance of the idiot light bulb to function properly. I checked and mine was burned out, replaced it and she worked great."

If this is true and I'm guessing it is, how do I get around it? Is there an easy bypass as I don't have an idiot light hooked up?

thanks,
LB

HELP :(