Alternators

• Sponsors (?)

i wish i had known about the taurus 3g alt along time ago. in the past 4 years me and a couple of friends have bought tauraus's for $50-$200 for demo derbies(3.0's wont die)weve ran through about 15 of them never save3d anything just took them to the scrap yard for about $75 each(pre-crushed) i did however save the last 2 alternators and fans.

I'm not sure, I'm trying to make this one work but it just doesn't want to...I figured out the wiring, but the problem is that it just is too big...the caging that is in front of the fan inside is too big and won't clear the bracket, I was able to grind it down a bit but i don't have the right tools to do the job correctly, i needed to grind one more part down... and i thought to myself maybe i should just return it, not sure if i can return it to the same guy again, he was arrogant.
Then... even if i get my belt onto the old pulley on the new alternator it won't fit with the older bracket... it has to be off the bracket in order to barely slip the belt on, and it can't go any lower cause the hose from the radiator to the engine block is right beneath it... and there's no way the belt will make it that far... I don't know anymore :(

I'll try to take it back on Friday (thats when the guy said to come back) hopefully he won't mind the grinding down that i did, if he does... I'll try to take it to another junkyard or an alternator repair shop and try to sell it to them or maybe even ebay... or worst come to worst i'll take it as a 75$ lesson...

I think i'll just go with one of the ones ya'll suggested, most probably the summit racing one.

Edit: yah... my battery tray is pretty bad

Old alternator: belt tightened
View attachment 346663

Old alternator vs new: comparison
View attachment 346665
View attachment 346667

New alternator, see the belt, it would slip on if it had a smaller pulley... but it isn't even on the bracket on the bottom....
View attachment 346669

New alternator on the bracket..
View attachment 346671

New alternator... look at the spacing, this is pushed up as far as possible, I'd have to shave down another fan cage thing (the one i shaved down is circled in red)

View attachment 346673
View attachment 346675

That is definately interesting... You could use a different top bracket for the alternator to gain clearance. Also, Try testing with a multimeter to see if you old alternator is actually charging or not. Taking the positive cable off of mine causes my car to die but I'm geting correct voltage with the car runing.

i got 12.5 volts with the car on, and 12.6 with the car off. :shrug: I put it on because i was thinking of maybe getting a shop to install it and just to get it over with, i didn't want the car to die while its on the road.

I talked to my grandpa, and wat we'll probably do is take off the bracket tomorrow, shave it down, try to get kraigen to change the pulleys for us, and maybe try to shave the lower bracket down a bit so it works right too. Or... get another bracket... :shrug:
We're gonna try and get this one to work...

you guys think i should get the alternator tested first? it was off a 2004 taurus and it looked quite new...

Sorry for the constant switching back and forth ya'll. I appreciate your input and patience.

you're right iskwezm, i took my old alternator to kragen, and they tested it, its fine, however... when testing it spit out a bent nail... :nonono: I have no idea where it came from....
I asked them to test the new one... they didn't have the plug, they checked it out... and it makes a squeak every time u turn it... that means... there is a bearing loose or its not balanced, something to that extent, could be becasue it was dropped, which explains the bent pulley... fought the junkyard people over it, and said to myself its not worth my time... i'll just take it as a loss...

However! I did find an alternator rebuilding store, place, and they'll do it for me, the people seem extremely nice and knowledgeable, i got to know the owner while they looked for the alternator, so yah, when they asked me how i was going to wire it, i pulled out schematics and all. They were talking about a 94 amp alternator from an impala or something its a 1 wire, and they'd install it, they didn't tell me a price cause they can't order till monday, and i didn't commit, i said i'll come back with my dad

This guy, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...70171301758&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123
has some really nice alternators, i asked him how much is buy it now; he said 110 plus shipping
I said to myself... MAYBE!!! i'm gonna talk it over with my parents and we'll see what happens.... Thanks guys for being so understanding and listening to my rambling.... I am definitely thankful for stangnet and all its members.

K ya'll I got a few choices now, I've been talking to the ebay seller and he said he backs his parts by a 1 year warranty, So help me decide which one.

#1 Externally regulated (not included) Chrome, billet pulley, have to bid on ebay, 100 amps, in northern california. 1G i believe

View attachment 346024

#2 Externally regulated (new chrome one included), Chrome, II pulley? not sure wat that looks like, buy it now for 95$, i can go pick it up. 100 amp,1 G i believe

View attachment 346026

#3 Internally regulated, Chrome, 1 wire, 3g, 110 amp, 89.99

View attachment 346029

sweet, i'll let you know how it goes. He said i can come pick it up between 11- 1 tomorrow.
I put a EZ wiring 21 harness int he car... it has a Alternator Exciter wire. which goes into the regulator and the regulator then connects to the alternator. So... with this 1 wire product alternator, do i just yank out the regulator... electrically tape off exciter wire, and connect the 1 wire from the alternator into the battery terminal post of the starter?

The 3g is not a 1 wire alternator. Its got the regulator build into the alternator. I think you already have the wiring instructions, I posted the link to a thread I uploaded them in.

A 1 wire alternator is an alternator where all you do is hook the B+ terminal to the charge terminal on the alternator and thats it.

People tend to call a 3g a 1 wire alternator but it isn't, its a common misconception.

K well i got the 3rd one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD...182416993QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item140182416993
Its that except its 110 amps instead of 150. I got it tested at kragen and its pushing 14.9 volts... They said its good. Then they said that I could've bought one from then with a lifetime warrenty and i told them... I came here and ur guys specifically told me they can't help me, they don't have it in stock. And they said well you must've talked to a new guy cause we could've sold u one for 60$ ... i was like ugh... this experience is getting better and better. I ended up paying 90 dollars for mine and its not chrome =\ W.e. looks are a last concern for me at this point.

the guy told me to just connect a 6 or 8 gauge wire to the + terminal of the battery... and i'm thinking of just putting it to the battery side of the starter solenoid.
I didn't put it in casue i didn't have time (went to the LA auto show) and i didn't want to rush it, plus i didn't have a 6 gauge wire handy.

I doubt they could have sold you the lifetime model for 60 dollars. Not a 3G for sure. Rockauto, which is almost ALWAYS cheaper then the big 3 parts stores as well as Napa doesn't have one for under 100 bux and thats not including the core charge. I think you would have ended up paying somewhere in the neighborhood of 180-220 for a "new" 3G from them with a lifetime warrenty.

I don't buy lifetime warrenty parts from the chain places unless its a manufacturer warrenty instead of a specific parts house warrenty. You know what they say about parts with a lifetime warrenty.... you will be puting them in for a lifetime....