Aluminum Flywheel Durability

StangJonGT

Founding Member
Jun 2, 2001
Seattle
I am having an argument with a friend on the durability of aluminum flywheels; he claims they are fragile and may warp/shatter too easily. I claim that the risk is increased, but the likeliness is still out of question. Since neither of us have personal experience with this part, we are at an impass. Please advise, all who claim expertise here.

Jon

• Sponsors (?)

StangJon what I think your friend means and I agree with this is that the aluminum flywheels, even though they handle more hp/tq and can handle higher rpms are not good for a daily driver for how hot they get. Think about, a daily driver car gets way hotter than a drag car. I just wouldn't take the risk of an aluminum flywheel, but thats just me.

dustang90 said:
StangJon what I think your friend means and I agree with this is that the aluminum flywheels, even though they handle more hp/tq and can handle higher rpms are not good for a daily driver for how hot they get. Think about, a daily driver car gets way hotter than a drag car. I just wouldn't take the risk of an aluminum flywheel, but thats just me.

Um dude.... heavy billet steel flywheels are actually better for high power drag cars. Light weight aluminum flywheels are usually used in road race cars. And I doubt the typical daily driver sees anywhere near the stress road race flywheels do.

Plus, how much pressure do you suppose is on a flywheel for a car to do 9's in the quarter? I know X2C motorsports twisted a hardened TKO input shaft while getting into the 9's on thier 5 speed. That's quite a bit of pressure and friction. Friction causes massive heat, even if it is for a short amount of time.