aluminum heads 351W

I have a 70 Mach 1 with a 351w and auto tranny. The motor has headers, edelbrock performer manifold, Mallory Unilite Distributor for bolt ons. Internally it has stock rods with arp fasteners and Keith Black Flat top aluminum pistons. I do have an unknown performance cam in it. Two questions

I'm I out of luck on finding out the specs on the cam? What if I pulled it out? Is there numbers on the cam that would tell me the lift and duration of the cam? I believe the make of the cam is competition.

I have been checking out some posts on aluminum heads and am getting confused on what would be right for my car. AFR, edelbrock or twisted?
Who makes a better product? What size (cc's)? Im looking for some more power and mainly be driving it on the street.

I know this is more than just two questions but Im really kinda confused on head selection. I realize not knowing the cam size does no help so I'm sure I would have to get a new cam if I can't find out what I have. Is 400 HP unrealistic for the combo Im looking for? Any help and info is appreciated Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

with alum heads and a good cam/compression 400 hp is very common in a 351w.
Usually on the front of the cam there is numbers but not usualy a brand name, you will have to do some searching.

I personally like twisted wedge heads, they are the best hp per dollar USA made head for 302-351w's. You can even make great power with elelbrock performers and rpms, Theres lots of chinese knock off victor heads, some people love them and lots hate them.

If your pulling it apart also see what pistons you have, if they are stock dish you will want to mill the heads to get compression up to 9.5-10.1 as with alum heads there is lots of power to be had by upping the compression and pump gas is fine.

Who knows, you need to find out your cam specs, if its a comp high energy then keep compression low, if its a magnum or XE it will work with a bit higher compression, you can make 400 hp lots of different ways, smaller cam/bigger heads, bigger cam /smaller heads, big cam/big heads.

I've played with 351w's quite a bit, budget and high dollar, now I have a 408........

my 67 vert htwheelz's photos- powered by SmugMug

if it's a comp cam then the grind number will be stamped right on the end of the cam. with those Keith Black flat top pistons and a 60cc head you're looking at around 10.5:1-10.75:1 compression depending on how big the valve reliefs are and how far down the hole the pistons are at TDC, if the block hasn't been decked the pistons are likely .030 down in the hole at TDC.

i would recommed using a 64cc chamber aluminum head to keep compression down to around 10:1-10.25:1 or so it will be more pump gas friendly, but even 10.5:1 is ok on the street with aluminum heads but you'll definitely need to use premium fuel maybe mid-grade if your really lucky, with lower compression around 10:1 you should be able to run on regular unleaded if timing can be kept under 34-36 degrees advance.