Am I getting shafted on..

user2520528

Nov 18, 2005
Audio Installation?

I am bringing my 2004 Mach 1 in to get the radio replaced with a Sirius Alpine Headunit and maybe a BostonAC. dual subwoofer for the back. The guy wants $250 for installation alone (I took this radio out of my brothers truck, it's only a few months old- he was deployed to Iraq and didn't have any use for it anymore- they're actually selling it anyways) then $500 for the subwoofer. Price sound right to you guys?

I was talking to a friend of mine and he said it may be possible to swap the stock sub(s) in the back. I'm at a loss here..I don't know squat about car audio prices/what's good and I'd be googling all night to learn and I just don't have the patience- can someone lead me to the light?

• Sponsors (?)

You're definitely getting shafted on the install price. You should actually be able to install the receiver yourself after removing the faceplate. It is, quite literally, plug and play. I didn't know anything about doing it until I tried it out on my old car. After doing it once, it's something you could do on any car as long the receiver matches the dash. Think about how much you get paid per hour. Then think how many hours it would take you to reach the point that you would get to $250.00. So - if you're making 50 dollars an hour, that's worth 5 hours of your time. Fact is though, it will take that guy MAYBE one hour to install it. Do you want to pay that guy $250 an hour to install it the receiver? Now, if he's making you a customer dash panel then $250 is fair. I would call around for more estimates. I'm the cheapest person you will ever meet. When someone gives me a steep estime I'll tell them I got an estimate for "insert price you're willing to pay" from "insert name of your friend". That generally lowers the price or at least generates a "well, come by and we can talk in person"

Yeah,

He mentioned that, and I saw it too, that my stock cables don't match the radio I have- he'd have to cut wires and connect a 12vlt somewhere. He also has to run the satellite antenna to the back of the car (replace the weather strip). He estimated about 3 hours.

I called Circuit City just for ****s and giggles and they said they can do it for about 80 bucks less. So I'm sorta kicking myself in the ass here for not snooping around- that's the penalty for ignorance I guess. I would totally tell the guy I changed my mind but, he made an appointment on Saturday and took 50 bucks as a deposit. :(