Am i the first EVER to be unimpressed with a gear swap??!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Some people do not agree with breaking in a clutch...

Some people do not agree with breaking in a heads/cam/intake (different approaches)...

Some people do not believe with breaking in brakes...

Some people do not agree with setting in gears...

Some people do not agree with resurfacing a flywheel...

Some people do not agree with breaking in an engine...

But you know what remains true after all?

The one that takes the most precautions during a 'break-in' typically has longer lasting results out of the component.

By the way, ring and pinion gears are already heated, near 2000 degrees before being CNC'd, but they still wear in very slightly. It is best to take it easy to make sure proper torque, shimming, lash.

I have to ask, what is it going to hurt to let everything mesh together well?

Surely we all got a little patience and intuitiveness...especially with many gear manufacturers giving instructions to allow a few heat cycles before torqueing them to hard together:)

Like the others have wrote if you went from 3:55's not much of change although it still is. going from the stockers should have put a smile on your face :D . when I went to my 3:73's I loved it, took of from the line better, went through the gears much better. I like to go through the twisties on the back roads and found that I could brake drop down a gear get on cam and roll into the turn and power out without falling off on rpms like I did with the stock rear end. much happier!

As gears are initially used in the vehicle, work-hardening occurs. This is the first time the gears see loads of any magnitude and changes occur on a molecular level. Ask any machine shop guy about work-hardening if you call BS.

Even if folks have had no *known* issues with not breaking-in gears, to outright say it is not needed is not responsible (saying things like this comes across as statement of fact instead of opinion). If I had a gear-set not properly harden and break-in due to overheating the ring and pinion, I'd be looking for one of the expert-thought-providers to pay for new parts and labor.

Just because something is not apparent doesn't mean it's not there. If I have some gizmo that makes a high pitched noise that I dont hear, I can say that the gizmo is useless and makes no noise. But my dog would probably chew my nuts off in the middle of the night.

I don't break in parts a lot of times because I do the swap the day or two before a race. Can't really run the car down the track at 2500 RPM now can you?

But I'm sure you don't swap heads, clutches, gears, etc. in the staging line right before you hit the green light...:)

You do some driving around or getting used to the 'new' parts before you hit the track, atleast the majority of the time.

The point I'm trying to make some is I would take the 'beat it out of the box' with a little more care.

It could help troubleshoot problems later...

But I'm sure you don't swap heads, clutches, gears, etc. in the staging line right before you hit the green light...:)

You do some driving around or getting used to the 'new' parts before you hit the track, atleast the majority of the time.

The point I'm trying to make some is I would take the 'beat it out of the box' with a little more care.

It could help troubleshoot problems later...

Our 91 got a clutch, put the on the trailer and then to the dyno, left on the trailer, then to the track where it went 12.10 @ 110. I put a short block in, finished at midnight, then drove to NJ at 5 AM and ran 12.56 @ 106, with mine.

I agree, I am not saying breaking stuff in isn't smart... I just personally have never seen an ill effect from not breaking something in.

Brothers 06 GT and moms (was new) 02 Subaru both got broken in the way we break new cars in though.

As gears are initially used in the vehicle, work-hardening occurs. This is the first time the gears see loads of any magnitude and changes occur on a molecular level. Ask any machine shop guy about work-hardening if you call BS.

Even if folks have had no *known* issues with not breaking-in gears, to outright say it is not needed is not responsible (saying things like this comes across as statement of fact instead of opinion). If I had a gear-set not properly harden and break-in due to overheating the ring and pinion, I'd be looking for one of the expert-thought-providers to pay for new parts and labor.

Just because something is not apparent doesn't mean it's not there. If I have some gizmo that makes a high pitched noise that I dont hear, I can say that the gizmo is useless and makes no noise. But my dog would probably chew my nuts off in the middle of the night.

Hell yeah work hardening sucks. Hasn't happened to me yet, but a couple peoples parts were killed or had to be tempered to get some hardness out in shop class because of it.

However, when I left the shop 2 years ago with my gears it was WOT and no issues. Maybe I got lucky.

Going from a 2.73-3.73 in my AOD made a world of difference. I'm sure the ridiculously tall 1st, 2nd gear has alot to do with that. Basically all it did was put me closer to stock T5 territory. :lol: The biggest difference can be felt at passing speeds. It simply responds with much more grunt, like a 5.0 should. As for my 90 (5-speed), I don't remember being all that excited after swapping in the 3.73. I never bothered to check the stock gear so I don't know if it was 2.73 or 3.08. It felt more like the car just got the world's greatest tune-up. It wasn't like "wow", but the car was noticeably more responsive at speed.

Could it be that you're not impressed with gears because you are spinning your tires more, hence going slower for the 1st 100ft. , than faster?

I haven't even done a burnout yet. I plan on taking it somewhat easy for the first couple days. (I'm sure it could only help.) But from a very slow roll, i can chirp them at speeds i couldnt before. I DO notice a difference, but not as much as i was expecting after seeing " Best 1st mod - GEARS!!!!" posted all the time. Is about 600rpms increase in 5th (at about 75mph) consistant with a 2:73 to 3:73 swap?
I'm just saying that as far as putting me back in the seat, i don't notice much of a difference. The biggest improvement is how it pulls out of corners, which is a lot better now.

changing gears is just like changing the gear on a ten speed bike. its not a power gain at all and when i put mine on it didnt feel like one either. it just felt like i gained a bit of sotp feel but i did it at a cost of, more frequent shifts and less mph in each gear. 4th gear is done before you know it.

i did my gears when i had an AOD and it helped some but nothing amazing, i swapped to a t5 and that HELPED the car came alive.

mods like heads and cam and intake and blowers a nitrous are the ones than REALLY help and actually feel like a true power gain.

gears are great, 3.73s through 4.10s really help out a stock car good, get the rpms moving, but once you add a blower or nitrous or start actually making power the need for the gear goes away, the gear gets to limiting you more than helping you

i noticed since i added my SC, tires spin like crazy. gears are TOO SHORT, i am at the top of 4th too fast and have to shut it down.

at the track i am hitting the traps at 6100 in 4th, any more power (which i plan on ) will send me over the top and i will need a taller tire or a higher (numerically lower) gear

You don't need friction modifier with royal purple gear oil. It's already formulated to provide the same type of function as FM. I guess you could say it's already built in.

Our 91 got a clutch, put the on the trailer and then to the dyno, left on the trailer, then to the track where it went 12.10 @ 110. I put a short block in, finished at midnight, then drove to NJ at 5 AM and ran 12.56 @ 106, with mine.

I agree, I am not saying breaking stuff in isn't smart... I just personally have never seen an ill effect from not breaking something in.

Brothers 06 GT and moms (was new) 02 Subaru both got broken in the way we break new cars in though.

I think you get the point:nice:

Nothing is guaranteed, but with someone that installs parts as precise and with the quality of work I'm sure you and your dad do, I'm sure that lessens the chance.