American Powertrain Hydramax Clutch Kit Install.....

KDK1988GT

Founding Member
Jan 7, 2002
Fredericton
After several attempts to contact this company.... (E-mails & Phone Call)

I have to result to asking you guys for some info and help on my install.

Has anyone put this kit on there fox body?

I've watched all the videos that American Powertrain has posted about this kit. They can be found here.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GxNvuwT9AY&list=PLWLBIB2ryod1WWV2iSkB2sjKoakipujp0&index=3

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBYcqlEhv4Y&list=PLWLBIB2ryod1WWV2iSkB2sjKoakipujp0&index=4

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS7rwMozPgo&list=PLWLBIB2ryod1WWV2iSkB2sjKoakipujp0&index=5

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF6Fy-ANvJ4&list=PLWLBIB2ryod1WWV2iSkB2sjKoakipujp0&index=1

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWz5e6IJ30U&list=PLWLBIB2ryod1WWV2iSkB2sjKoakipujp0&index=2

I got several other parts in my kit that I have no clue what are used for even after looking at the directions supplied (That seem to be universal)

I received no template that they show in the videos that u use to locate the bracket to the firewall...

Below is a picture of all the parts that I received and one that is found on there website you can see how different they are....

mykit.jpg kitonline.png

• Sponsors (?)

I've been on the fence about buying this product for a while.
Lately I've been on a kick to make my car feel as comfortable and as easy to drive as possible.

The kit appears to give you more than mcloed does with theirs, but if the customer service sucks, the product might as well suck.

Can you return it?

I have the kit sitting here on my bench and hadn't opened it yet. Upon inspection I am in the same predicament as you, no template and a very different assembly(no forked end). Are you installing on a t5 or tremec trans?

I am doing a t56 and now wonder if I need the flat shims or conical shims that they show in the videos.

My kit arrived this week and is the same as what you show in your picture. There are a couple of parts that are not needed for the Mustang and seem to just be generic to all kits; the long threaded rod and coupling nut and the longer of the two studs.

Not too difficult to figure it out once I go to it, no template in my kit either, but got the location sorted with not too much head scratching. I did have to enlarge the hole in the firewall on my 79 as it was too small to allow the arm to operate though its full range. Just a quick ream out with a step bit. The bracket uses a pair of bolts to secure it rather than the screws shown in the video which makes it a bit trickier to get secured on a complete car. My car is stripped down so it was easier to do as I could reach through the windshield opening and get the nuts started while holding the bolt and bracket on the firewall (no dash in the way either). The bearing goes on the pin of the clutch pedal arm and the MC lever rides against the bearing. Looks like a design upgrade to the original forked arm shown in the videos. I did have to bend the clutch arm stop a bit to clear the bearing and I put a spacer behind the bearing to get it better centered on the arm. Those may just be issues unique to my car as it is an amalgamation of parts and years.

2014-12-12%2013-01-57%20-%2001.jpg

2014-12-12%2013-22-57%20-%2002.jpg

2014-12-12%2013-23-44%20-%2003.jpg

For the transmission part of the equation, the instructions I received said to use the stud in place of one of the front retainer bolts for my T5 transmission. That seems to be incorrect as the stud is the wrong size and thread to fit the transmission and even if it did, it is way off to catch the slot on the bearing. I used the slip on collar as described for the other transmission models and it seems to be correct. I still need to do the measuring and shimming of the bearing, but will have to wait until I get my engine all done and off the engine stand. I don't anticipate any issues there, but that remains to be determined. I am using the Ford Motorsports front bearing retainer with the steel bearing tube which differs from the original aluminum one in that there is a longer shoulder at the base of the tube which the slip on collar is seated down on. Hopefully that does not put the bearing too far out towards the clutch, but it appears to be about where the original bearing rode on the old retainer. If it doesn't clear, then I'll have to talk to them about a solution.

2014-12-12%2013-35-15%20-%2004.jpg

2014-12-12%2013-35-34%20-%2005.jpg

I got started on my install. I got the plate mounted to the firewall ok, it was a little tight getting the nuts on the inside of the firewall mounted and getting the bearing on the clutch pedal pin but its on there now. I haven't gotten my measurements for the shims for the trans yet but I will soon. I am using a t56 magnum with just uses the collar in a manner similar to what you are doing BMW.

I am missing the fitting to connect the braided line to the MC and American Powertrain hasn't responded to my emails. Does anyone know what size the fitting is and what type? I have read something like -3 AN fitting for the hose side but I don't know about the MC side. I will most likely have to suck it up and order one online as American Powertrain has never answered my emails in less than a few weeks if at all.