American Racing Rims peeling each winter

plastic_cow

Sep 10, 2003
Oshkosh, WI
I have a friend who's AR wheels keep peeling on him each winter, dunno why, but for some reason they do, it's almost like it's flaking off... any ideas/suggestions for the poor lad, who keeps getting the free under warranty :D

• Sponsors (?)

yeah the salt will do it...they pit aluminum wheels and make chrome flake. The only sure way to eliminate that problem is to throw other wheels on there during the winter. He might try waxing the wheels to protect them, I've heard of people doing that.

I had a set of the cheapest AR rims (aluminum) on my 93 stealth, after some time i noticed they had some layer of a "plastic" coating or something, once this chipped away from carwashing, rocks, salt, curbs :nonono: .......ect. the bare aluminum was then exposed, and i guess it oxidized or something, because i got this build up that looked almost like shower scum. It was chemically bonded to the wheels, and not something stuck to the surface of them.
I was not happy, but the tranny blew up a few months later...... anyone hear of someone blowing up a stock 5spd? :doh: