American Racing wheel question....

Weatherby

May 8, 2006
Hi all,

I'm researching wheels at this point and I've come to a juncture where I need to decide if I want to go with modern rims and fitment or vintage.

I was hoping that someone could help me figure out an issue with American Racing's Torq series rims? The issue is this:

I read in another thread that the correct rim for the '66 era Trans-Am cars is the American Racing R-Model rims. I've also found out that it's hard to come by a reproduction of this rim. I contacted PS Vintage Wheels PS Vintage Wheels Home Page but I have a feeling those will be prohibitively expensive.

I've also read that one of the current American Racing wheels is very close to the actual R-Model rims, but here's where my real problem is coming in: Which one? I've seen the Torq Thrust Original and the Torq Thrust D.... Both of them have a similar look, the machined lip with the magnesium-looking spokes... but which of those two would get me as close to the vintage trans-am look as possible?

Also, another issue I seem to be running into: Summit and TireRack.... neither one seems to carry American Racing wheels that fit a '66 5-bolt Mustang.... Am I missing something here or are they just an incomplete listing?

Any help sorting this all out would be greatly appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

You can get the TTD just about anywhere. Even here:

Amazon.com: American Racing Vintage Torq Thrust D (Series VN105) Torq Thrust Gray With Machined Lip - 14 X 6 Inch Wheel: Automotive

51j4aNzqcWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Here are a load of pics to stare at, this is my favorite site for TransAm reference as I'm doing a similar car:
66 Mustang notchback racer

I can't tell you if the original rims were more rounded on the spokes (TTD) or more pointed(T):

ARTorqThrustD.png

Sizes - more choices in the TTD: 14" x 6" / 15" x 10" / 15" x 4.5" / 15" x 6" / 15" x 7" / 15" x 8" / 15" x 8.5" / 16" x 8"

ARTorq.png

Sizes: 15" x 5" / 15" x 7" / 15" x 8.5" / 17" x 8"

I went with the D's, but I'm not doing an exact replica and $ kept me from going with the 8 spoke style.
According to CobraAutomotive the TTD's are a replica of the GT350R wheel, see pg. 37:
http://www.cobraautomotive.com/cobra_cat.pdf

I used 15X7" 3.75" bs on all 4 so I could rotate as these will be my street DD tires. I had to roll the fender lips with 225/60/15 tires as the bulge of the tire scraped barely, if I could have found 4.25" bs that would have been perfect or I would have had to step down to 215 tire (didn't want to). Here they are on Summits site, sometimes their selection web tool steers you wrong, I usually look up the part # on the manuf. site (AR) then search websites by part# for price/availablity.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARE-1055765/

Rtsidelowered-1-1.jpg

Jon

Attachments

• ARTorqThrustD.png
    ARTorqThrustD.png
    214.1 KB · Views: 329
  • Rtsidelowered-1-1.jpg
    Rtsidelowered-1-1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,521
  • ARTorq.png
    ARTorq.png
    210.6 KB · Views: 306
Here are a load of pics to stare at, this is my favorite site for TransAm reference as I'm doing a similar car:
66 Mustang notchback racer

I can't tell you if the original rims were more rounded on the spokes (TTD) or more pointed(T):

ARTorqThrustD.png

Sizes - more choices in the TTD: 14" x 6" / 15" x 10" / 15" x 4.5" / 15" x 6" / 15" x 7" / 15" x 8" / 15" x 8.5" / 16" x 8"

ARTorq.png

Sizes: 15" x 5" / 15" x 7" / 15" x 8.5" / 17" x 8"

I went with the D's, but I'm not doing an exact replica and $ kept me from going with the 8 spoke style.
According to CobraAutomotive the TTD's are a replica of the GT350R wheel, see pg. 37:
http://www.cobraautomotive.com/cobra_cat.pdf

I used 15X7" 3.75" bs on all 4 so I could rotate as these will be my street DD tires. I had to roll the fender lips with 225/60/15 tires as the bulge of the tire scraped barely, if I could have found 4.25" bs that would have been perfect or I would have had to step down to 215 tire (didn't want to).

Rtsidelowered-1-1.jpg

Jon

Actually, that's the website that started me on this obsession/quest/mania.... (Notchback T/A that is). :D

Yeah, I'm still trying to reach PSE regarding replicas of the original R-Models but I'm betting they'll be cost prohibitive as they're all made to order etc. I'll have to see if I can find any closeups of old T/A cars and see if I can figure out if they're round or edged (the spokes that is).

Another thing that got me on this path was Gran Tourisimo 5 for the PS3. There are a few vintage cars in there that you can purchase from the new car dealers that you can then do Race Modifications to which turns them into their T/A variants. The ones I know of are the 1969 Z28 and a Challenger R/T (there are a couple others but those two in particular wind up wearing the wheels I'm looking to replicate). I'll post pictures of these as I can find them on the .net...

1969_camaro_z28_rm_1_by_happyluy-d359t3q.jpg

Camaro Z28 wearing either R-Model or one of the Torq series rims without the center caps...

5274575237_1ddaf8bb2d_z.jpg

This one of the Z28 has the rims being more "edged" spoke than rounded.... so maybe those are closer to the originals?

SanGimignano-TownSquare_4-1.jpg

This one of the Challenger R/T RM shows the rims the best. They definitely have the 'edged' type spoke instead of the 'rounded' ones...

Attachments

• ARTorqThrustD.png
    ARTorqThrustD.png
    214.1 KB · Views: 386
  • 1969_camaro_z28_rm_1_by_happyluy-d359t3q.jpg
    1969_camaro_z28_rm_1_by_happyluy-d359t3q.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 1,284
  • Rtsidelowered-1-1.jpg
    Rtsidelowered-1-1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 2,687
  • ARTorq.png
    ARTorq.png