Amsoil New MTF for Synchromesh Trans.

I see where amsoil has put out a New MTF for synchromesh trans. they list trans. such as Tremec T-4,T-5, T-18, T-176, T-500, T-600 ETC. Plus a lot more. But they don't list 3650 is there any difference or should they have the same fliuds.

• Sponsors (?)

SLOW 97 said:
Amsoil :lol: KEEP AWAY FROM AMSOIL! It's nothing but overpriced crap! :notnice:

It seemed to do really well in this test:

http://www.allsyntheticsgroup.com/taxi-tests.html

And outlasted Mobil1 in this test:

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html

and some more wear tests:

http://www.bestsynthetic.com/mobil1.shtml

and some more dyno tests:

http://www.1st-in-synthetics.com/dyno_test.htm

With clips like:
CONCLUSION “Although we’ve provided criteria to pick and choose an oil, the stand-out to us appears to be the AMSOIL, rating well in the viscosity and producing good horsepower.

“With the variety of grades, use this test as a guide but always follow the manufacturer’s recommendation. But if we were to stick our neck out in anticipation of the lawsuits, from the information we gathered specific to the supplied oils in the test, we’d rate the oils in the following order:

1) 1) AMSOIL

Anyway, if you have proof Amsoil is crap, I'd be interested to see it. And as far as overpriced, Perferred Customer discount gets prices down to around 6 bucks a quart, depending on the oil. And I've seen upward to $15 a quart for Mobil1.

Back on topic, I'm interested in teh MTF. I wonder if it will help the noisy T% shift smoother and less power lost? Sounds interesting.

hotrodnut said:
I would say they do not list the 3650 due to the fiber material that the syncronizers are made of and that could cause swelling. I know Tremec says do not use the GM Syncromesh fluids because of that reason.

So you believe the other Trans. listed are different inside than the T-3650.
Did you go and look at the list? I have not recieved any info they are closed on the weekend.

05SonicBlueGT said:
So you believe the other Trans. listed are different inside than the T-3650.
Did you go and look at the list? I have not recieved any info they are closed on the weekend.

I know the T-5, 3550, TKO-500 and TKO-600 have syncronizers made of different materials than the 3650 and the GM Syncromesh works great with them.

Check out what Brothers Performance Mustang Says, I copyed and paste what there page says. I don't know how to add a link.
G.M Syncromesh Transmission Fluid for Tremec Transmissions/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G.M Syncromesh Transmission Fluid for Tremec Transmissions
Price: $12.99
Brand: ...
Part Num: GM12345399

GM Syncro mesh transmission fluid is designed for GM manual transmissions, however it is the lubricant that is recommended by Tremec for all Tremec Transmissions.
It has been designed with a partially synthetic base for excellent lubrication properties and does not break down. It withstands high temperatures and functions well in low temperatures.
Tremec transmissions require 3 quarts.
Tremec will not honor any Tremec Transmission warranties unless this oil is used!

05SonicBlueGT said:
Check out what Brothers Performance Mustang Says, I copyed and paste what there page says. I don't know how to add a link.
G.M Syncromesh Transmission Fluid for Tremec Transmissions/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G.M Syncromesh Transmission Fluid for Tremec Transmissions
Price: $12.99
Brand: ...
Part Num: GM12345399

GM Syncro mesh transmission fluid is designed for GM manual transmissions, however it is the lubricant that is recommended by Tremec for all Tremec Transmissions.
It has been designed with a partially synthetic base for excellent lubrication properties and does not break down. It withstands high temperatures and functions well in low temperatures.
Tremec transmissions require 3 quarts.
Tremec will not honor any Tremec Transmission warranties unless this oil is used!

All I can tell you is I called and talked to an Engineer/Tech at Tremec and he said yes the GM Syncromesh is good for other Tremec's but not the 3650. To me, that is good enough reason to not use it, what parts houses use in their ads to sell products they have I can't vouch for. If some say GM Syncromesh is ok to use in a 3650 and Tremec says no, then I wouldn't use it. :nonono:

I agree I thought that was a bold statement to make. I have read not to use GM syncmesh in the 3650 it will swell the seals or something like that. I am looking hard at the Royal Purple for my trans. I am not having any problem that I no of, but it hasn't been cold yet. I just want to put the best fliuds I can get in all 3 main areas, engine, trans, rearend.

Hatchman said:
I emailed Amsoil about it too. There website under the applications section is incorrect as it as ATF listed for the manual transmission, which is of course, wrong.
So, what did they say to use? I found this link
http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/faq.html#WhatTransFluidToUse
Which says: Q: What transmission fluid do I use?
A: The TR-3550 5sp uses the GM Synchromesh. T56 and 3650 use Dexron III ATF,the Viper T56 should use Castrol Syntorque. See the service manual for more details about your transmission.

So, now I'm confused? ATF or Not? :shrug:
Dave...

05SatinSilver said:
So, what did they say to use? I found this link
http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/faq.html#WhatTransFluidToUse
Which says: Q: What transmission fluid do I use?
A: The TR-3550 5sp uses the GM Synchromesh. T56 and 3650 use Dexron III ATF,the Viper T56 should use Castrol Syntorque. See the service manual for more details about your transmission.

So, now I'm confused? ATF or Not? :shrug:
Dave...

The weekend, so haven't heard back from them. But I guess it's ATF.

OK, the question has been answered. Directly from www.tremec.com
I pose this question on what to use in the manual tranny. Here's is their answer "We recommend DEXRON III / MERCON Spec ATF"

AND, directly from a FORD Mechanic "The TR-3650 uses Auto trans fulid... just like all other FORD manuals... except the Focus manual tranny which takes synthetic manual fluid. Synth will not hurt it."

That's good enough for me. Amsoil ATF Synthenic it is!

Dave...

05SatinSilver said:
I pose this question on what to use in the manual tranny. Here's is their answer "We recommend DEXRON III / MERCON Spec ATF"

AND, directly from a FORD Mechanic "The TR-3650 uses Auto trans fulid... just like all other FORD manuals... except the Focus manual tranny which takes synthetic manual fluid. Synth will not hurt it."

Exactly, All fords use ATF in their autos.Didnt anyone own an 87-93 Fox body. Everyone knows the T-5 uses ATF. so why should it be a suprise that our newcar does. GM syncromesh would work great for the tremec.

Nolyaw said:
Exactly, All fords use ATF in their autos.Didnt anyone own an 87-93 Fox body. Everyone knows the T-5 uses ATF. so why should it be a suprise that our newcar does. GM syncromesh would work great for the tremec.
We're not talking about Auto's, we're talking the TR-3650 MANUAL tranny!
But, it still uses AFT.

Dave...

05SatinSilver said:

Dave...

I read this quote to mean that the AMSOIL will not harm the focus tranny. I wouldn't put the AMSOIL in the 3650 based on that quote.