An Engine Problem, But No Trouble Codes

Crzyhrse

Dec 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
I've only had this happen twice in the past 1 week. Never happened before. Under hard acceleration shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear I get a bog in the engine, and it feels like their is something clogging up the exhaust system as the tone of it changes and sounds like their is something blocking the exhaust way. The "SES" light flashes on and off and then after about 30 seconds the engine is fine again. I hooked up my Predator but no trouble codes showed up. Traction Control was off. Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

It just happen to be a couple times I gunned it from 2nd gear into third and then the engine problem ocurred. I've only got afew mods. X-pipe, Catback, C@L Tru-Flow Intake with MAF, and Predator custom tune.

Fuel filters shoudl be changed about every 15k miles. While it does sound fuel related, i'd be surprised if ur filter is clogged at 16k miles already. Most people can go like 60k on the same filter... Hell i work at BMW and a fuel filter change isn't even on the maintenance. They recommend changing them every 100k miles. :eek:

But BMW does a lot of stupid things like that. I change my fuel filter on my stang every 15k though. Its only a $10 part and very simple to do yourself.

Maybe could you get some live data feeding as you drive the car and the problem occurs? Maybe check the fuel trims? It definately sounds fuel related but im not sure what it would be. Possibly a clogged injector...gives u good fuel pressure until you hit WOT then the clog prevents you from adding more fuel to the cylinder or cylinders :shrug: Run some seafoam through that bitch =)

UDTBadkarma said:
Fuel filters shoudl be changed about every 15k miles. While it does sound fuel related, i'd be surprised if ur filter is clogged at 16k miles already. Most people can go like 60k on the same filter... Hell i work at BMW and a fuel filter change isn't even on the maintenance. They recommend changing them every 100k miles. :eek:

But BMW does a lot of stupid things like that. I change my fuel filter on my stang every 15k though. Its only a $10 part and very simple to do yourself.

Maybe could you get some live data feeding as you drive the car and the problem occurs? Maybe check the fuel trims? It definately sounds fuel related but im not sure what it would be. Possibly a clogged injector...gives u good fuel pressure until you hit WOT then the clog prevents you from adding more fuel to the cylinder or cylinders :shrug: Run some seafoam through that bitch =)

I work for VW/Audi and they're the same way. I believe they call them a "lifetime filter" which, as you said for BMW, translates to 100k. The only ones that get done as part of a maintenance is the TDi (diesel) and that's every 20k.

I like to stick to the 15k increment. Our fuel filters are extremely small (compared to the German ones that I'm used to which are about the size of a Foster's oil can) so they can't contain that much media. Plus, considering the price of it, I consider it cheap preventative maintenance. :nice: