And thus, I am banging my head on the wall...

• Sponsors (?)

I don't post here much, so at the risk of of being FLAMED for coming down so hard…………….DON’T DO IT! :notnice:

What you’re considering is exactly the kind a thing people bitch and complain about when it comes to PO’s and the crazy screwed up things they do. :bang: Seems to me, you’re just looking for a cheep and lazy way to deal with an issue that has an OBVIOUS & CORRECT way to solve.

Why spend all the time & money to buy and install RACING brakes, if you’re just gunna grind them to fit 14” rims? Common………….. Use your head man! Take the high road on this one!………….. You be much happier in the end!

OK, I'm done now :(

Discount Tire Baby!

skywalker said:
Okay, I get my disc brakes on, all four wheels, the rears are a swap from a late model ford (Crown vic to be exact, as odd as that is) and the front is a nice wilwood kit. Put the kit together, saftewired everything and all is well except for this OOOONE problem. The brakes are about 0.25 inches to big for my 14" rims!

I'm looking at either a) banging ont he calipers until they don't scrube anymore, and that sounds like it might not work b) getting a grinder out to grind ont he caliper until it doesn't scrub anymore or c) not driving the car which i already have gone a monthw ithout until august when i can afford new rims and tires. Any suggestions?

I had the same problem after installing Discs on the front. I went to Discount Tire, got 2 cheepie 15" steel wheels on sale for $30 each and a couple of cheap tires. I believe I was out the door for around $110.

I've since upgraded the wheels to 17x8's from a 2000 GT...but the cheepies worked out fine in the meantime.

Good Luck!

Skywalker, when you find your camera can you post a picture of your rear disc brakes from the Crown Vic. Also, what year did you pull it from? I would like to see that setup and the fabrication you had to do.

monk302 said:
Skywalker, when you find your camera can you post a picture of your rear disc brakes from the Crown Vic. Also, what year did you pull it from? I would like to see that setup and the fabrication you had to do.

I actually bought that off someone else. IIRC, it's forma 93. Zero fabrication except for the parking brake cable. I'm having to find a way to hook it up which will problem rresult in my welding a small piece onto the CV's mechanism (its hooked up differently than the mustang's cable.)

When I solve that problem I'll post a pic of my solution. Be forewarned, I JUST started welding so my welds aren't pretty! haha

Strokedd66 said:
I don't post here much, so at the risk of of being FLAMED for coming down so hard…………….DON’T DO IT! :notnice:

What you’re considering is exactly the kind a thing people bitch and complain about when it comes to PO’s and the crazy screwed up things they do. :bang: Seems to me, you’re just looking for a cheep and lazy way to deal with an issue that has an OBVIOUS & CORRECT way to solve.

Why spend all the time & money to buy and install RACING brakes, if you’re just gunna grind them to fit 14” rims? Common………….. Use your head man! Take the high road on this one!………….. You be much happier in the end!

OK, I'm done now :(

So you're telling me that it is wrong to grind off 4, 1 inch long, 1/8" wide, 2mm deep secitons since I frankly can not afford new rims?

The discount tire company idea is great except I'd then have 2 15" wheels up front, 2 14" wheels in back, no tires up front, and i'm still screwed.

I know the obvious and correct way but do you have a 1k to drop on a set of rims? I DON'T! I'm an engineering student, I make it my job to solve problems like this. It won't hurt the calipers (except for looks and then only slightly. If you want to donate a set of wheels and tires, by all means do it. But have them here by saturday cause I've thus decided i'm going to have a solution by then.

That's about what I'm planning to do...just gotta find some that look semi decent and will fit the car. If I can't find them though...then the problem comes.
I truly don't want donations sir, I was just little irritated by the way the one gentleman came off.

I've also got a pair of 195/65/15's (but only two) they are too good to throw away, but I got no use for em....

The 225's came on my Jetta on some crap wheels, so I did this to it:

JettaW.jpg

Really if either of em will help you out, you're welcome to em... Be doing me a favor to move them out of the garage.

I think down the road you would regret grinding on the wildwoods (I know I would) FWIW

skywalker said:
I was just little irritated by the way the one gentleman came off.

He's right though, you bought a brand new racing brake setup, put it on an old car (a classic), with steel wheels, and you want to grind the brand new, expensive high-performance equipment. Sorta like finally having enough to buy a Saleen S7, buying it, and then cracking the front air dam because you're too impatient to creep into and out of your driveway. You're this far, just go the extra mile, or something like that.

I'd donate some wheels, but I don't got no money either. If I were in your shoes, I'd wait, but I'm a patient man when it comes to good things. You could grind the calipers, but if I thought about doing that, I'd just be seeing the dollar value falling as I imagine sparks flying off the grinder, and shudder lol.

Route666 said:
He's right though, you bought a brand new racing brake setup, put it on an old car (a classic), with steel wheels, and you want to grind the brand new, expensive high-performance equipment. Sorta like finally having enough to buy a Saleen S7, buying it, and then cracking the front air dam because you're too impatient to creep into and out of your driveway. You're this far, just go the extra mile, or something like that.

I'd donate some wheels, but I don't got no money either. If I were in your shoes, I'd wait, but I'm a patient man when it comes to good things. You could grind the calipers, but if I thought about doing that, I'd just be seeing the dollar value falling as I imagine sparks flying off the grinder, and shudder lol.

Well, the wheels are aftermarket and fairly nice (could use some polishing at this point though.) I can't figure out why they put 14" after markets on but...they did.

I'd vote for "do the time". I know it sucks to wait a month or however long to get the wheels you want. I wait five or six months every year to drive my car because of where I live.

Grinding stuff is a one way street.

Also, I'm not sure why you'd want to spend ANY money on wheels that are just temporary. Even if they're free, you might have to pay for tires, and maybe mounting and balancing?

That's alot of gas money... :)

If it's the hot date your worried about... maybe you got a bud that could lend you his wheels off his ride for the night? Alot of "monkey work", but if it'll "close the deal", go for it.

Have fun...

:)