Anderson Ford Motorsport: Power pipe

jt14894

Apr 6, 2005
Florida
I've searched and couldn't find a similar topic on this so here goes.
I was reading the November 2005 issue of 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords and read an article about the Anderson Ford Motorsport (AFM) Power Pipe for the 05 GT.
I was just wondering if there is anyone who has heard of this or has one installed on their GT. If so, what are your thoughts?
I like the package that AFM has because one of the things it offers is an 80mm mass air sensor which, once installed, doesn't require a tuner or custom chip.
Thanks for your input.

• Sponsors (?)

Anderson power pipe

I don't know if this will help or not, but I spoke to Rick Anderson from Anderson Ford Motorsport and asked pretty much the same questions and concerns that you have, and he claims that no programing is required, because the 80MM. pro. M mass air meter is callibrated to work with the stock computer, in the same way the old mass air meters were designed during the 89-93 fox bodied mustangs equiped with the 5.0 EFI set up. he also claims that his power pipe is also callibrated for 19-36 lb. injectors. in addition, he had also mentioned that with his set up, if you decide to make future mods, such as, ud pulleys, throttle body upgrades, headers, electric waterpumps and any exhaust changes, he claims that no re-flash is needed and that after numerous tests on the dyno. there have been no issues with detionation or leaning conditions whatsoever, However I still have doubts and intend on doing furthur research, before making a final decision... anyhow, I'll keep you posted and updated A.S.A.P in the meantime, if anyone has any additional info. or opinions, let me know what you think... Thanks :flag:

red05bullitgt said:
I don't know if this will help or not, but I spoke to Rick Anderson from Anderson Ford Motorsport and asked pretty much the same questions and concerns that you have, and he claims that no programing is required, because the 80MM. pro. M mass air meter is callibrated to work with the stock computer, in the same way the old mass air meters were designed during the 89-93 fox bodied mustangs equiped with the 5.0 EFI set up. he also claims that his power pipe is also callibrated for 19-36 lb. injectors. in addition, he had also mentioned that with his set up, if you decide to make future mods, such as, ud pulleys, throttle body upgrades, headers, electric waterpumps and any exhaust changes, he claims that no re-flash is needed and that after numerous tests on the dyno. there have been no issues with detionation or leaning conditions whatsoever, However I still have doubts and intend on doing furthur research, before making a final decision... anyhow, I'll keep you posted and updated A.S.A.P in the meantime, if anyone has any additional info. or opinions, let me know what you think... Thanks :flag:

Thanks for the info Red.
I'm also trying to find out more about this because I like the setup, especially since it doesn't require a tuner.
If I find anyting new I'll post it.

i dont know how you are supposed to gain much power with that setup. the stocker is 80mm. when you make future mods, that will be the restriction point.

Update

Since my last reply, I've spoken with both Brent from Brenspeed.com and Ken Bjonnes from MD Motorsports, who conducted the cold air comparison test for 5.0 Mustang and fast Ford magazine, and I asked both for their expert opinion and recommondation, concerning the Anderson Ford Motorsport unit. Here are thier comments as follows, the Anderson unit uses a Professional mass air systems Pro. M 80mm. meter that reflashes and recalibrates the Pro. M mass air sensor, which replaces the stock mass air sensor altogether, by which it then sends an electronic signal, simular to that of the stock sensor to the computer, by reducing the size of the capasittor. but the difference is. instead of remapping the air and fuel curve through the computer by using a programmer. its the actual air sensor that is recalibrated instead ,which then allows for more air flow to pass through the air intake, while at the same time, the computer believes that the voltage signal is unchanged, compared to that of the stock air sensor, if that makes any sense LOL. :bang: but at any rate, both experts did confirm that the Anderson unit will give a HP increase without a tune, as stated on his website, in addition, Mr. Bjonnes also confirmed that if you install the Anderson unit, your also able to perform performance mods, (excluding) of course adding a blower, cams, heads, gears, wheel size, with no additional tuning required, However there is of course a downside, you will need a computer re-flash to correct that nasty drive by wire throttle lag. thanks to our rocket scientists we now have at Ford lol. :rlaugh: Personally, in my honest opinion.. I don't think saving $50 - $100 is worth it...meaning whats the point in spending $569.00 for a cold air kit, that will only give a 10-15 HP increase and nothing more.. don't get me wrong here, sure you can add a UD pulley, exhaust and throttle body, all without needing a tune, but what good is adding HP. without the benefits of throttle control, which only a tune can provide, that alone is worth spending the extra $100 as far as I'm concerned...maybe I'm wrong, but I suppose that all depends on what your point of view and what you feel is important along with whatever your particular needs happen to be.. Anyway hope everything I've mentioned here, is something you may find useful..I know it sure has for this 05 GT. owner:D if anyone would like the web addresses for Anderson Ford Motorsports and for MD Motorsports, let me know, and I'll send them to anyone who may be interested in contacting them directly... Cheers:flag:

red05bullitgt said:
Since my last reply, I've spoken with both Brent from Brenspeed.com and Ken Bjonnes from MD Motorsports, who conducted the cold air comparison test for 5.0 Mustang and fast Ford magazine, and I asked both for their expert opinion and recommondation, concerning the Anderson Ford Motorsport unit. Here are thier comments as follows, the Anderson unit uses a Professional mass air systems Pro. M 80mm. meter that reflashes and recalibrates the Pro. M mass air sensor, which replaces the stock mass air sensor altogether, by which it then sends an electronic signal, simular to that of the stock sensor to the computer, by reducing the size of the capasittor. but the difference is. instead of remapping the air and fuel curve through the computer by using a programmer. its the actual air sensor that is recalibrated instead ,which then allows for more air flow to pass through the air intake, while at the same time, the computer believes that the voltage signal is unchanged, compared to that of the stock air sensor, if that makes any sense LOL. :bang: but at any rate, both experts did confirm that the Anderson unit will give a HP increase without a tune, as stated on his website, in addition, Mr. Bjonnes also confirmed that if you install the Anderson unit, your also able to perform performance mods, (excluding) of course adding a blower, cams, heads, gears, wheel size, with no additional tuning required, However there is of course a downside, you will need a computer re-flash to correct that nasty drive by wire throttle lag. thanks to our rocket scientists we now have at Ford lol. :rlaugh: Personally, in my honest opinion.. I don't think saving $50 - $100 is worth it...meaning whats the point in spending $569.00 for a cold air kit, that will only give a 10-15 HP increase and nothing more.. don't get me wrong here, sure you can add a UD pulley, exhaust and throttle body, all without needing a tune, but what good is adding HP. without the benefits of throttle control, which only a tune can provide, that alone is worth spending the extra $100 as far as I'm concerned...maybe I'm wrong, but I suppose that all depends on what your point of view and what you feel is important along with whatever your particular needs happen to be.. Anyway hope everything I've mentioned here, is something you may find useful..I know it sure has for this 05 GT. owner:D if anyone would like the web addresses for Anderson Ford Motorsports and for MD Motorsports, let me know, and I'll send them to anyone who may be interested in contacting them directly... Cheers:flag:

I appreciate the time you've taken to research this its been very informative.
I've been comparing cost of that versus other non-tune cold air kits and, for that price ($569), I think its a little on the high end whereas the K&N, for example, puts out about the same HP estimate (15 HP) for nearly half the cost.
I've used and currently use K&Ns on all my vehicles and have always noticed improved performance, especially on MPG.
If its not worth spending $569, then I may just go with the K&N. But then again, will the K&N work with other bolt-on performance mods and not require a tune or reflash? I'll have to check on that.

Thanks again!

Thanks for your appreciation JT and was pleased that I was able to help... However, if you plan on adding other bolt on performance mods with the K&N or any other cold air kit that requires that you use the stock mass air sensor, then I'm sorry to say that you must re-flash the computer, otherwise your air fuel ratio will end up too lean and I guarantee you'll also get a check engine light as well, so if you plan on adding any bolt on's...then I highly recommend that you get a tune, besides that way, you'll truly be able to experience your Mustangs full performance potential.. your only other option, is the Anderson Power Pipe, if your completly against re-flashing your computer, just remember what I mentioned earlier, you will need a re-flash if you want to eliminate that drive by wire throttle lag. :nice: