Ankle Carnage!

stang22

Jan 29, 2003
Washington, D.C.
I'm only posting this to get a "What should I expect?" response if the ligaments are torn or seperated from the bone. The X-Rays didn't show any breaks, but there is too much swelling right now to do an MRI. I rolled it slowing down after running, nothing crazy, but the pop I heard was pretty distinct and I have rolled my ankles a few times in the past. I am in a cast now for the next 2 weeks until I get an MRI and will be in a walking boot after that for who knows how long. Been taking percocet for the last 8 days, twice a day for the pain. I tried to tough it out, but its too much.

Has anyone done this in the past and had to have surgery? What should I expect? I am very athletic and in shape and a very, very active runner and mountain biker... not to mention all kinds of sports.

Any advice? Thanks,

Tim

Pics from after my trip to the ER. (Day 1)

View attachment 309760
View attachment 309761
View attachment 309762

Pics from the next morning. (Day 2)

View attachment 309763
View attachment 309764

• Sponsors (?)

I did that playing basketball when i was in the navy on an out door court with uneven surface. I iced the heck out of it an it never got better, turns out I should have used heat after the first 48 hours. Mine was just a major sprain though. Looked like half a soft ball was under my skin.

That looks rather painful. :eek:

I agree with the ICE acronym, icing/elevate etc. If x-rays came back negative, like others have said, it must be a pretty bad sprain.

As a fellow runner I will say don't try to push it too early coming back. I ran into a really bad case of IT band syndrome that eventually needed surgery and tried to run way too early. Do what the doc's tell you; I didn't follow their directions close enough and it took 2 years for my knee to feel normal again.

Hope everything turns out ok and you can get back to hitting the trails soon!

I've seen sprains that bad before. If you tore ligaments You'll be in that walking cast for a few weeks and try hard to rehab that thing or your ankle will get sore for forever every time you put it through it's paces.