Annoying sounds, please help

• Sponsors (?)

My 94gt does the same thing,I do believe it is detonation. I have not been able to get rid of it from my car. I have about 150k on the engine, still runs good except for that. I have changed the act sensors and swaped out maf sensors. Cleaning it helped a little. Over time the problem has gotten worse. I have the simple typical bolt-ons, car does not check-eng-light, and has always passed smog. I live in So Cal and we have 91 octane. My next move is to try to go with a better maf, and to try to clean out the egr valve. I suspect that if it is dirty w/ carbon build-up, it could function incorrectly.. I don't really know what else to try myself, If you get it fixed, Please let me know how!!!

Dante'
94'gt w/ pulles ,alum. driveshaft, mac shorties, flows, 3.55 out back, cai

dude i had the same exact problem n i couldnt figure it out for days
it was my harmonic balancer
once the rubber slips the outter ring with the timing numbers actually hit my water pump pulley (ye i had to buy a new water pump pulley from bbk sine mine got wrecked)
check it out sounds exaclty like the prob i had ... if not good luck
ps- wouldnt drive the car like that imo

Sounds like the only thing left on the list of possibilities is the carbon build up...

Any one done an engine top end cleaner like "sea foam" or other??

My brother had a 95' GT that did the same thing.We even went so far as retarding the time to *8 which helped some but was still there.The only thing we never got to try out before he sold it was the engine cleaner and the act...

Just a thought to throw in with the rest...Good luck man.

gimmie a until tomorrow. I just tried the seafoam trick. I let it suck in through the vacuum line at the brake boaster. Let it sit for 15 min and then started it. Alot of crap came out. Taking it to work tonight so i'll listen for the sounds.

have you tried twisting your dizzy counter-clockwise? If it goes away then it's def. detonation.

Put your car in 5th gear while you're going at a low speed and floor it. That puts a lot of load on the engine and if it's detonation you'll def. hear it.

I do believe SeaFoam did the trick for me. I didn't hear the noise going to and from work. Gonna take it for a nice ride today to make sure. There was some nasty crap that came out of the exhaust. Might do it again to make sure it's clean.

Vic