Another analyze my spark plugs Q

86Five-0

May 6, 2003
New Jersey
A few days ago when I changed my oil, I decided to pull the plugs and check em out, re-gap, etc.. Most of my plugs where whitish in color with what looked like powdery white deposites on the electrodes and whatnot. A few looked worse than others, mainly on the driver side cyl. head. Timing was set at 14* and I was running 89 octane. I re-gapped them at .050 and adjusted the timing back to 12* and still runnin on 89. These are Autolite plugs, 2425 series I'm not sure, but whatever they gave me at the parts store. As far as the fuel system the f.p. is new and the fuel filter is about a year old. Car runs fine, but should I be concerned about these plugs? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

My plugs are white too. I run 93 octane fuel and it never pings. Hardly ever pings on 87, but I get better mpg on the good stuff. I have not figured out a way to stop this, thought of going to a colder heat range once. Find out for sure what plugs you have. Are they 24's or 25's? Just read the 3's on the side of them. I am running 25's.

the plug color only shows the conditions at the moment you turned the engine off. Go for a WOT run, and pull them.
Besides, in tuning the A/F ratio, you have to have a plug light, or tear the plug appart to truely see the ring that indicates the A/F ratio.
So, in conclution, don't worry about it.