Another CALIF Smog Question!

88gt373

Dec 29, 2010
hey guys. i just finished building my 5.0 motor with an e303 cam and roller lifters. pretty much stock but a clean rebuild. anyhow, i checked out my exhaust when i dropped it back in and i realized the two angled cats from the headers are hollow and there's no other cats. do i have to put 4 good cats on to pass smog? or can i get away with just two? i got about 3 weeks till my temp tag is up go help is greatly appreciated!!!!

:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I was going through and i saw your post....i myself am changing out the old system so i went searching and this is what i have found.... Correction to what this post underneath - i believe you can install hi-flow cats AS LONG as they have all the correct government exemption markings on them. Now the real question is....should you replace all four or can you get away with just two of them??
--------------------------------------------------------
Can I replace the OEM catalytic converter on my car with a "high flow" catalytic converter?
Update: 1/1/09 - New catalytic converters sold or installed in CA must be designed to meet the following requirements:

Must be an OE replacement only - no "high flow" or performance cats
Must be granted an ARB exemption
No used or rebuilt used cats can be installed

Briefly, this means that you are now required to obtain a new ARB-exempt catalytic converter for your specific vehicle if you require a replacement. The street use of aftermarket performance "high flow" units and aftermarket mid-pipes with non-exempt cats is not legal in CA. For more information on this legislation, visit: Aftermarket Catalytic Converters

Both CARB and the EPA do not allow the replacement of a catalytic converter with non-exempt "high flow" performance replacement unit. In fact, it is technically not legal to even replace a converter unless it has been proven by technician to have failed, and then it can only be replaced with an exempt OEM equivalent unit.

Due to the hundreds of vehicle models produced over the years, it is virtually impossible to determine by glancing under a car whether the converter is the original unit, a legal OEM replacement, or a non-legal aftermarket "high flow" performance unit. However, changing regulations require imprinting the exemption number, manufacturer code, and manufacture date, making it easier for technicians to determine the origin of the product and the intended application.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hope it helps. I've heard of shops getting hit for 25,000$ fines and a suspension of their license if they, "hollow" out your cats or, "tamper," with smog stuff.

I don't know if this answered your question about having to replace all four of the cats but taking a quick look on the c.a.r.b. and a.r.b. websites leads me to believe you should have them on it before smog/after smog. Especially in california. The too fast too furious days of san diego/rancho bernardo have only intesified the resolve of cops to **** with everything that even sounds/looks modded. :flag:

There was a post here last year where someone in CA wasn't even able to have an aftermarket front pipe shipped into the state because of all the CARB regs now. Summit wouldn't do it.

My problem was with heat generated from the stock 4 cat system. Heat would filter up through the floor and be uncomfortable in the summer. I went with Bassani s/s two cat system, and have not had any problems with smog...knock on wood of course things could change at a drop of a hat here in Cali...but so far so good...I've had this system on for about 5 years if not longer.

ok that gives me a little bit more reassurance with the two cat idea. the last thing i wanna do is spend lots of money on cats im going to take off after smog anyways..lol. hows the sound on that bassani system> and where are the cats located on the pipes? closer to the headers on the bend or after the bend, before the h?

I understand your statement of wasting money especially in these trying times. The Bassani system was easy to install no real headaches perse...The sound as best as I can describe it is a subltle blurp blurp at idle, but when on the pipe at say 3000rpm it comes alive with a distinctive authoritative roar. It has a sweet rumble when it passes by parked cars..it will often set off car alarms. Love it... The cats are located closer to the headers before the bend, hence my heat problem went away. Every time that I have taken my car in the smog place they usually install the exhaust sniffer in the tail pipes, but I have extra mods on my car, heads, supercharger etc, that most times the guys are busy looking at them and asking questions that they really don't look under the car. Don't know how important that last bit of info was but it is something that I observed and I too play up to that "distraction" if you know what I mean.

First thing to understand is that Kommiefornia isn't interested in the environment. They have the visual inspection scam where each part must be OEM or registered in their system, for a price, to be usable as a CARB-approved replacement. So....the 2 cat Hi-Flo system usually cleans the air better than the old 4 cat system but no manufacturer wants to pay all the fees to get their system CARB-approved.

So, I asked the smog guys that do two of my 5.0Ls and he said there MUST be 4 cats........another buddy got away with the 2 cat system for years sooooo, your mileage may vary. Let me know what you find as I would like to go to the 2 cat system to clear my 4 point HPM bar without rattling. I would be interested in knowing what the smog computer screens show for the visual....maybe it just says to look for cats....maybe it says to look for 4 cats....I think that would answer the question once and for all.......ANYONE KNOW?

I am a little confused by your statement. You said the two angled cats are hollow and there are no other cats??

Sound like you have a stock h pipi with no cats then ( two removed and two hollow)

If that is the case..you won't pass because you don't have any

or u can run what the *** u want, long tubes, illegal heads, illegal intake, big ass cam, no cats and get away with it. been doin that for 10 years in socal. never been pulled over and looked at. just buy a smog sticker from $250-$300. both my 06 GTO and 89 road race coupe in my sig r both illegal and loud as hell and switch drivin them daily.

I have a 88 drag coupe with a R331 ci stroker running 20lbs of boost. smogged in cali and can drive it on the street. 12 point cage, 10.5" ET drag tires. 650rwhp but I have to use c16 gas all the time. so not driven very much and with this bad boy if I get pulled over they would impound it.

The trick is to stay out of small cities that have their own police force. LA cops don't care, chippies do.

I am a little confused by your statement. You said the two angled cats are hollow and there are no other cats??

Sound like you have a stock h pipi with no cats then ( two removed and two hollow)

If that is the case..you won't pass because you don't have any

i know i wont pass as of right now, but i can buy replacement cats on ebay for about 70 each and i was hoping that would work to pass. but yeah, i have a stock h pipe with no cats... it sounds really good tho... :D my father in law says he knows a guy who can pass the car so im going to try him next week after my 3g upgrade, underdrive pullies, and ac delete...... and im going to talk to the guy to see if he needs my smog pump on there for his test, if not ill take that off too,..... :flag:

i bought an 89 mustang with no cats and a bypassed smog pump. when the time came to smog it i bought a used mid pipe from craigslist for $75 with two cats from a 97 mustang welded on. it used to be a BBK off road mid pipe but someone just welded the cats on. anyway i took the thing to my local smog shop and just told him that i took it off in my garage and i want him to put it back to pass smog. he asked me if it was the original pipe i said no but that's what was on it when i bought it. $250 total. it's been 5+ years and i still use the same story no probs.

I just purchased and installed a catted x pipe from magnaflow. It's the only company that offers carb legal cats. I installed it with flowmasters and tips out the rear. I was disappointed with how quite or 'stock-like' it sounded. But the bacpressure was a hue improvement and I like the performance aspect of it alot better. Actually pulls a little harder from a stop. The cats are stamped with CARB numbers, check their website for the new CA laws on cats. Sorry I'd post it but I'm submitting this from my phone. Any questions let Me know, I'll try to post pics tomorrow.