another cam thread

rj95svt

Jan 11, 2007
Hayden, AL
I really hate to ask this question just because I've seen so many people ask before but I'm refreshening a 89 short block (new rings and bearings) and putting it in my cobra. I'm trying to figure out a good cam to go in while I have the engine down this far. The top end of the motor is gonna be my stock GT40 heads 1.7RR and cobra intake with the possiblity of a ported lower. I would love to install heads while I'm at it but my budget won't allow it right now. In the future I would also like to install a vortech s trim so I'm taking that into consideration with my cam choice. So bottom line is I need a cam that will work with stock pistons 1.7rr and work decently with a blower. I've thought about both the steeda #19, and the crane 2031 but I'm still unsure and I'm not the biggest fan of the letter cams. What do you guys think?

• Sponsors (?)

out of them two cams i would say the crane for sure.. it made for the 1.7 cobra rockers and should do good with the heads and intake, being that it is close to the cobra cam...stay away from the steeda cams....no low end torque with those things....and honestly when u take the low end torque form a mustang your not left with much else

Are you getting the heads freshend up at all?

The reason I ask is...well if you have not had them freshend up yet contact thumper. For what it will cost you to get springs for the cam (stock will probably not be the best choice if anything due to miles), machine work, valve job, tank...it is getting REALLY close to what he charges for that and port work.

If your interested I have pics of his work and the work is great.

If your going blower and not wanting to port the heads...the stock gt cam is good with boost but have heard good things about the 2031. Best bet would be a custom cam.

I like the TFS1 cam I have. With box stock 95 cobra gt40 heads, ported stock gt lower (would be close enough to compare to the gt40 family), and the TFS1 cam I ran a 13.5 at 102 the first and only time at the track with a bad 60ft.

Right now I was just planning on installing valve springs and new valve seals. I would love to have the heads ported by thumper as I've heard really good things about his work but right now I don't really have the money to spend. I really wanted a TFS 1 cam but I'm afraid that I'll run into piston valve clearence problems with my stock 1.7RR. I really do want to install a blower later but it could be a year or two before save the money for one as I have to buy many other things right now. I may also buy aluminum heads before I get to the blower. That's the only reason I'm not going custom cam right now.

Maybe just run a GT cam with the 1.7's...it wont be a bad cam...several on here have had good results with it on gt40 heads as well. From the research I did...gt40 heads like around .490 to .500 lift with a split patt. that favors the exh. Now the stocker is a straight patt. cam...but is going to be cheap and fairly easy to find.

If your unsure about the future I would say run a stock cam....Why get a cam now If you may get a custom one and alum. heads later. I would say do it once and do it right with all the parts that are going to work together. When I did my motor 3 yrs. ago i got everything I wanted on it right then and there with the exception of the cam I wanted (that was due to emissions). Now that I'm emissions exempt I got a custom cam from ED and with that install I am finally done with the motor. BTW I don't have to change anything else with the cam cuz I got the proper valvetrain and induction stuff all at once when I did the motor. I'm just saying, it will be cheaper in the long run. Also, with nice heads and a blower you may run into issues with the stock block and bottom end so thats another issue.

Yeah my hand is getting forced with the engine. That's the only reason I'm even doing this. I don't won't to blow up the stock engine because if I ever want to put it back stock many years from now I will still have the factory short block that can be rebuilt. The factory engine is vibrating, has some bearing rattle, low oil pressure, a ticking lifter, and is burning oil at a nearly unbelievable rate. I know that the factory block will not handle handle 500rwhp reliably so I'm gonna keep the tune safe when I do install the blower. I'll try to limit the horsepower to 450 at the rear wheels.
I am not going to hunt a stock GT cam. If I'm going to buy a cam why buy a stock GT cam. If I'm gonna buy a cam I might as well go ahead and buy a small aftermarket one. I know there wont be a very big hp increase from the cam. I would stick with the stock cobra cam before buying a stock GT cam. I know that none of these are ideal but I'll have every thing apart and I figure I can find something better than stock for my mild combo right now.

IIRC and I'm not having a ... Senior Moment :rlaugh:

The 2031 cam was designed for the Cobra setup :scratch:

For what you say you want to do .......

I'd go with something mild for a nice little kick in the pants :nice:
but yet
You won't have to sink a ton of money in it at this time ;)

Your self tuning capability will surely be able to make that
cam play nice as far as drivability is concerned :D

btw ... Look at what Jonn S (Whitedevil) did with a 2031 cam :)

Grady

I'm a bit confused...what kinda cam do you have now and what makes it unuseable...that you have to buy a new one. I am going to assume you have a cobra cam right now right? I think the people mentioning the GT cam were thinking you had a GT not a cobra, the cobra cam is fine with a blower as well. If you cam is in good shape I would just reuse it.

Yes it's a cobra cam. I was really wanting a better cam because I've read that the cobra cams produce more low and mid range than the gt cams but are not as strong on the top end. I thought everyone was suggesting that I swap in a GT cam in place of the cobra cam. Either way I'm wanting atleast a slight upgrade over the stock cam so I think I'm gonna go with the 2031.

Ok makes more sense...like grady said theres not much difference between a gt and cobra cam...but if anything a cobra cam (i'm almost positive) would be more "radical". So I would say keep that and I'm sure it will be plenty good with a blower, heads and the stock block. But thats just me...:shrug:

The stock GT cam is .444, where the stock Cobra was like .470??? I'd say to use the Cobra cam also, but if you want an aftermarket cam do the Crane 2031. Either way you said you should be able to tune it yourself, so not too big of a deal.

Cobra specific camshaft
Cam specs: Duration: 227°/Intake & 270°/Exhaust
Lift: .485/.485 Intake/Exhaust
Lobe separation: 118.5°
Sorry to hijack, but are those the specs for the 2031? Im curious cause I use the #19 with 1"7s and lift is .510, so PV clearance is no problem, and yeah under 3000 rpm is a bit weak ( gears help) but it has a 115 LSA and is made for blower applications.