Another Exhaust Question

• Sponsors (?)

Now you guyz are REALLY confusing the $hit out of me.

When I talked to a local muffler shop, they told me for sure that they would charge MORE for labor for a complete catback than they would to weld in Mufflers...so the savings with JUST mufflers would be better.

How about the "DELTA" series? When I looked at the Flowmaster website, it looks like those are just a tad quieter than the regular 40's.

RC

The DELTA series is what the American Thunder kit comes with, yes they are a lot quiter than the Original 40 series. The little bit of a difference shown in Flowmasters graph, does not correctly show how much louder the original 40 series are.
The prices work out to about the same if you are buying flow pipes and tail pipes new. If you just have mufflers welded into your current set up than yes it will be a lot cheaper.

Delta 2's are twice as loud as 3's and 40 2's are twice as loud as Delta 2's.
So on a scale from 1-10
3's: 3
D2's: 6
40 2's: 12!!!!!!!!!

I've had 3's and have D2's
My best friend has 40 2's
So I can be sure these numbers are accurate. I didn't know about the diff between D2's and 40 2's until it was to late and I bought an American Thunder kit. Now I know and as soon as I need mufflers 40 2's are going in. (p/n 42543) Do it right the first time!!!!!!!!

R.J. said:
Delta 2's are twice as loud as 3's and 40 2's are twice as loud as Delta 2's.
So on a scale from 1-10
3's: 3
D2's: 6
40 2's: 12!!!!!!!!!

I've had 3's and have D2's
My best friend has 40 2's
So I can be sure these numbers are accurate. I didn't know about the diff between D2's and 40 2's until it was to late and I bought an American Thunder kit. Now I know and as soon as I need mufflers 40 2's are going in. (p/n 42543) Do it right the first time!!!!!!!!

WEll, if I have 3's now and just want to wake it up a bit, I guess the Deltas are the ones I want (or MAC flow paths?)

If they can "spare" my 3's when they cut them out, I can either sell them or keep them in case I dont like the Deltas.

I have to go under the car on Tuesday to check the SS. Ill see if I can find the PN on those mufflers.

Thanks
RC

Green 94 5.0 said:
did you give up on doing the wrenching yourself rob? you keep mentioning the cost of labor for a muffler shop to install a BOLT ON catback. cost of labor shouldnt even be a consideration if you go that route.
The problem is 2-fold:

1. I still need them to do my tips..they have to be cut and welded.

2. Because I dont know what the h3ll Im doing under the car, I need a little help...I tried calling one of my cough friends cough to ask for a little help but "HE" didnt return my call. :bang: :D

Anyway, isnt the shop needed to get all the right bends/angles/etc so that everything lines up?
RC

94GTLaserRC said:
The problem is 2-fold:

1. I still need them to do my tips..they have to be cut and welded.

2. Because I dont know what the h3ll Im doing under the car, I need a little help...I tried calling one of my cough friends cough to ask for a little help but "HE" didnt return my call. :bang: :D

Anyway, isnt the shop needed to get all the right bends/angles/etc so that everything lines up?
RC
negative....if youve got a jack, jackstands, and some tools, the catback can be installed in about 45 min tops....its ony 4 bolts and a few hangers....

stprorolla49 said:
negative....if youve got a jack, jackstands, and some tools, the catback can be installed in about 45 min tops....its ony 4 bolts and a few hangers....
I have to go under the car to look at the speed sensor tomorrow...Ill check it out. Still gotta worry about the tips though...even though there is a shop really close by where I know the owner...they do mainly stereos and alarms, but they have a good tech there that welds in fart cans for the ricers...he could prolly redo the tips.

RC

94GTLaserRC said:
I have to go under the car to look at the speed sensor tomorrow...Ill check it out. Still gotta worry about the tips though...even though there is a shop really close by where I know the owner...they do mainly stereos and alarms, but they have a good tech there that welds in fart cans for the ricers...he could prolly redo the tips.

RC
maybe i misunderstood...would you be using the shop to instal a new catback, or to weld in new muffs with your stock flowtubes and aftermarket tails?

stprorolla49 said:
maybe i misunderstood...would you be using the shop to instal a new catback, or to weld in new muffs with your stock flowtubes and aftermarket tails?

Well, when I thought of ONLY the mufflers....it was the shop...Then they told me it would be cheaper to buy new mufflers and pay for them to weld them in than it would be to buy new catbacks and pay them to install it....That's what the comparison was.

Having said that, I need my tips cut and re-welded anyway, so Im still not sure what to do. I could REALLY use some help from a local guy :rolleyes:
RC

Green 94 5.0 said:
ill help you install the catback rob.....go the route that i suggested, you wont be sorry. aside from the nicer sound, the 2.5" mandrel bent piping will also provide a performance gain over the stock piping that is on there now.
:banana: :banana: :banana: :Word:

Im going to be out in the garage from about 10:30 to noon this morning...give me a buzz...If your car is running, Id like to take a listen anyway. (going to go under to check out the speed sensor, and oil leak, and the current flowmaster PN)

RC

Green 94 5.0 said:
unfortunately im already at work and dont get out until 1am.....
Well....GOOD news/ BAD news:

Bad: Wont be changing the sound anytime soon.

Good: Wont cost me anything...

I went under the car to find out for sure which mufflers were on the car...I couldnt find a PN, so I called Flomaster :hail2:...

By the measurements, and the burn pattern of the inside mufflers (left on the outer muffler) he was able to determine that they are more than likely ORIGINAL 40 series mufflers. The length is 13+" (2 chamber) and the triangular burn pattern tells him that they are NOT deltas.

So, I guess Ill keep these until I get the new motor. I definitely do NOT want quieter.. Maybe a 3" system will be in order next time.

I dont think mine are too loud or have too much drone, so I guess Im lucky in that regard.

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO RESPONDED WITH YOUR GREAT INFO.

ROg....You STILL get a beer or 2 and a dip in the hot tub for the offer!!

Thanks
RC

nmcgrawj said:
Whats the deal on the burn pattern? I've never heard of that.
I guess I could have takes some pics..

Basically since my mufflers are 10 years old, the inside weld pattern from the inside has caused faint burn marks on the outside of the mufflers...almost like rust, but just discolored.

there is a left to right pattern just behind the entrance pipe, then a triangle pattern underneath..like this

- - - - - - - - -
-
- -
- -

The top line is the front end, the bottom is the back..the dashes are the relative positions of the markings

RC

94GTLaserRC said:
I guess I could have takes some pics..

Basically since my mufflers are 10 years old, the inside weld pattern from the inside has caused faint burn marks on the outside of the mufflers...almost like rust, but just discolored.

there is a left to right pattern just behind the entrance pipe, then a triangle pattern underneath..like this

- - - - - - - - -
..... -
....- ...-
. - ......-

The top line is the front end, the bottom is the back..the dashes are the relative positions of the markings

RC

That looks a little better...you get the idea
RC