Another first timer at the track.

mleafs

Jan 19, 2004
I went to the track for the first time (oh yea I'm hooked) in my life thinking I could do well after watching Pinks and was a little surprised. I will start out with my car 92 LX hatch with a stock short block (rebuilt), GT40P heads ported and decked .10, B303 cam, Cobra intake, 65mm throttlebody, 70mm MAF, roller rockers (1.6), Pulleys, electric fan, P headers, off road H pipe, 373 gears Weld in sub frame, upper and lower control arms, 5 spd, and what ever other little things that would cause it to go just a little faster. So after looking at some times on this site with similar mods I thought maybe high 8’s would be easy in the 1/8th (maybe if I could drive). My first run (RT .649 60ft 2.626 ET 9.963 86.87 mph) tires spun all the way to 3rd gear. I ran 7 times and did beat an LT1 Trans-Am twice but had to reel him in and only beat him by a .10 and 8mph both times. My last run I did manage an 8.95 at 89mph with a 2.31 60 ft so I clearly got better with practice. I was one of the first with an 03 Mach 1 and I know people will say I am crazy but this car feels at least as strong and maybe stronger at times so I guess what I am asking from the experienced people here is, besides learn how to drive at the track what is the first thing you would do to improve things and what do you think this car is capable of with good driving? I am looking for a goal so I can measure my skills as I try to get better. The tires I am running are Cooper Zeons ZPT’s 245/50/16 with 20 pounds in the rear and only 1000 miles or so on them. Any advise will be welcomed

• Sponsors (?)

Get slicks and drop the hammer at 5k.

You can do anything you want to a car performance and suspension, but if you don't run slicks it's a waste of time. It's like training for a foot race, then lining up in flip-flops.

i trap 90mph in the 1/8th on a 125 shot. i dont see how that combo would go 89mph

I am not sure why it says 89mph on the ticket. Like I said that was the first time I had ever been. The slowest trap speed out of the 7 runs was 85.76mph. My best guess is that I am around 400pounds lighter and the GT40P head combo ported and cut down a little runs like a scalded dog when the rubber is hooking. I am close to being at 6000 rpm's in 3rd gear crossing the finish.

I've been told to not drop the pressure on radials, so maybe you should try to just keep your tires and normal pressure. Slicks would definitely help you out a lot. I think I might get some E/T streets so I can drive to and from the track on them instead of having to change tires at the track cause I'd have no where to keep my other tires. If my GT40 P combo in my GT is anything like your guy's, I'll be really excited!

If my GT40 P combo in my GT is anything like your guy's, I'll be really excited!

Get ready to be excited cause the bang for buck is hard to beat. The rear pocket does not hurt real bad and the seat of the pant's meter goes up a good bit for money spent.

ok. i bet the car is set up for drag racing though. car must be really light. what is the race weight? im at about 3400 lbs with driver.

3200, it does have a race set up, but stock bottem end, stock cam, unported heads and an untouched Cobra intake. All the bolt ons, power steering etc... His combo is more stout then ours was (well still is just in a different car) which makes me think it could be possible to go 89 mph.