Another GT40 head thread

MikeUrban

May 30, 2010
Chantilly, VA
Hey everyone! I have an 88 gt, and I got bit by the bug again just like my 93. First things first, yes I am converting to mass air. I want to keep this pretty cheap, so I'm coming to you guys with my questions.

My plan is to get junkyard gt40 heads and intake, and then take the heads to a machine shop. I'll have them ported, 3 angle valve job, and install better springs. Then I want to use 1.7 rockers with my stock cam :eek: . My question is, am I out of my mind to think this setup will do any good? My last car had gt40 heads and intake, with nothing done to them, and an f303. It did well but I don't think I squeezed everything out of it and now I want to try something a little out there. Opinions?

• Sponsors (?)

It'll run about as good as an iron headed 302 can. Which there's nothing wrong with that, many people are fully satisfied with GT40 set ups. I know I would be. I think you'll enjoy it.

I would skip the expense of porting the iron heads if it was me, otherwise sounds like your on the right track to stay on a tight budget

That's all I'm looking for, thanks guys! Should I still get new valve springs put on? Also.. I've heard it's safe to do a gasket match on both the intake and the heads, and it'll help flow a bit more so I may even try that.