Another Junkyard Turbo 351 Making Silly Power.

NIKwoaC

中國製造
15 Year Member
Oct 31, 2006
Chengdu Province
Anybody see the article in MM&FF this month about the STOCK roller 351 shortblock making over 1K hp on 21 lbs of boost, cast pistons and everything?

I kind of wish the ‘tards would have waited until they had proper wastegate springs to make those last few glory pulls. I would have liked to see them outdo that junkyard turbo LS that HRM did a couple years back. Oh well, 1050 hp on a stock junk bottom end is nothing to sneeze at.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I'd be interested to see what high dollar top end went on that junker short block.

IIRC, it had some AFR 205s on it, some kind of aftermarket cam and a TFS-R long runner intake on it. It only made just a little over 400 hp before they threw boost at it, which I thought seemed low, so I don’t know what was going on there. By comparison, the HRM junkyard LS had ~300 CFM ported factory heads, a FAST intake and an aftermarket cam, and made 450ish before boost. Both engines were ran with race gas.

Interesting but I would think durability would be a major issue.
'
Haha yea, at 4-digit power levels. I think the point they were trying to make (and did, IMO) is that the stock 351 short block is a lot more durable than people give it credit for. Everybody ASSumes that the cast pistons are junk and changing the stock rod/main bolts are a requirement, but it seems like all you have to do is keep them away from detonation and they can handle quite a bit.

My first grudge race with my current project will be against a 351w junkyard motor. He has AFR 185s and a letter cam I think. He just received an S488 in the mail with the billet wheel and race cover to replace his MP76mm. The car runs like a ra ped ape as it is, so I imagine it's about to get nuts. My LS heap is going to have some work to do to put him in his place. Not bad for an $80 motor.

I've come to the conclusion that just about any properly tuned/turbo setup is going to make some serious power. I have been told by a few professional builders that the 351 roller block is good to 700-800hp until block integrity becomes questionable.

It is impressive no doubt but the 351s have a long way to go if you are going tocompare them to stock bottom end LS stuff. There are multiple proven 8 second stock bottom end cars and a mustang that runs high 4s in the eighth mile. Just for reference, a 4.99 eighth mile is a high 7 second pass.

They are still junkyard builds, keep that in mind. A junkyard dyno build is not the same as building an engine for an actual street car, or race car. There are a lot of people out there now grabbing up old LS and 5.3 engines and boosting the crap out of them just to see what they can do with it. If you are doing this for novelty sake have fun. It's not my thing. A stock bottom end with a bunch of boost is going to break at some point. You might get 5 passes out of it, you might get 20 passes out of it, but it's guaranteed to give up at some point. Sitting on the track with a broom sweeping up what's left of your rods while there are 200 people in the line pissed off because you shut down the track with your crappy junkyard build is not my idea of a good time. Just remember that while you were out there to see what you could do with your $500 engine, there are guys who spent $500 to tune for just one night losing test passes. I only bring it up, because when I used to go to the track on a regular basis, it used to irritate the crap out of me. There was this team of guys who would show up with these old Toyota Starlets trying to see how fast they could go with an old :poo:ty Mazda rotary. 2 out of 3 times they would blow the engine and oil out the track and everyone lost a pass while they were burning the oil off and picking up Apex seals.

There are a lot of opinions on blocks. The 351 is better because it has enough meat in the bottom of it to drill it for a 4 bolt main cap. In my experience, as a 2 bolt it isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Kurt

I agree with what you are saying but anytime you are over 6 or 700 rwhp with any small block and a power adder, and you run into detonation, you are going to run that same risk of torching parts and oiling down the track. The stock bottom end stuff(ford or chevy) that are done right with good fuel and someone that is constantly watching the tuneup, will last. A friend of mine has a stock bottom end S-10 with a ton of passes on it going mid to high 5's in the eighth mile and the reliability of that thing amazes me. He was even driving it to the track 2 hours each way and going rounds in NEDX275.

There is a difference between someone who builds and honest setup and has a mishap and someone who is out there screwing around with junkyard crap just for fun of screwing around with junkyard crap. I'd say 1 in 20 times it's a well built race engine that lets go, and the rest are all clowns with junk that shutdown the party.

Kurt

I think the words junkyard and budget get thrown around a lot where they don't fit.
I've got a stock bottom end LS with fasteners. But it's by no means a junkyard build just because that's where the shortblock came from.
I agree that the "let's just see what happens" crowd isn't the brightest and that just because a motor made a 1,000hp pull that now forums are filled with keyboard mechanics saying "351s/5.3s are good to 1,000+ all day long"

Reactions: 1 user