another pi swap question, cant find cause of a misfire

fivespeedsteed

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 17, 2003
Richmond, VA
so this is for 94gtho first and foremost, car is a 96 gt mustang with 120k on it. offroad x pipe, catback, ect, and a cop plug conversion, so there is not 2 coils and wires, its got the 8 cop conversion with the wiring harness you buy off the guy on corral

car was running great, no missfires, no knocking, ran great

we recently have done a pi swap. we bought 04 gt heads that were pulled off a running fine gt, we have an intake off an 02 gt, along with valve covers.

we did the swap, slowly and carefully. the heads came without the lash adjusters or rocker arms, that was a big complication on corral, the guys engine builder took them out, i ended up getting him to send money back because they were missing, so we used the lash adjusters, and rocker arms off his 96 heads.

we did the swap, everything seemed to go together correctly, we took time doign the timing, the only thing to note there was that one of the chain tensioners didnt seem to have as much tension as the other one. ill edit this post later and elaborate on that in more detail.

the car started right up and we drove it to get 93 octane fuel, seemed to run great. we got a couple codes, cyl 7 and 6 misfire, multiple cyl misfire, bank 2 too lean. so we did all new plugs (8) , and tried new coils on 7 and 6, still nothing

the car runs good, had an exhaust leak, but we fixed that. the car runs great, but idles rough, seems to have a slight miss. weve tried a different injector off another car, switching them, everything, still has a slight miss at idle. it wants to idle down and stumble and surge a little, sometimes it does it so bad it cuts itself off. the miss also causes this slight knock sound that might not be abnormal at all

we then did a compression check, using my gauge and the extension needed to get in there, all cyl's on the driver side bank has 150 psi, give or take 2 or 3 psi. we thought that might be low, so we tried cyl 2 on the other side, and it was about 155 IIRC.

weve tried spraying carb cleaner on all the places the intake manifold touches, all the vac hoses to see if theres a leak anywhere, none seem to exist.

Another thing to note is that the car smells like its running rich, makes your eyes water sort of, and its used a half a tank in less than 40 miles since the swap has been done. We have been driving it kinda hard, but still

it seems to always be a miss on cyl 6. we put noid lights in the plugs for all the driver side bank cop wires, and injector wires and they all fire. the only thing i need double checked is that when you put a noid light in cyl 6 injector plug, it pulses, then after 5 or 10 seconds it shuts off, but we figured that was the computer shutting that cyl off, is that right?

another thing to note is that there is a hair line crack (very small) on the intake manifold in the coolant jacket in the front, we have searched and found all that info about how people chase missfires and its an intake manifold problem. he knows he needs to get a new intake manifold, but was going to run this one for a month or two to hold us over.

any ideas? i think our next plan of action is to take the plug, coil, and injector off cyl 6, put them on cyl 5, and put all the cyl 5 stuff on 6 and see where the misfire code goes.

after that our only option is to pull the manifold, check the rails out, check how it seals and all that.

• Sponsors (?)

Possible that coolant got in the plug wells and is fouling the spark?

And don't count on that hairline crack holding for a month or two. When it goes, it will be messy. I popped mine during a WOT run and it was ugly.

fivespeedsteed:

Are you sure that the plug wire is snug on the plug in #6? The boots slide on the wires and it is easy to have one wire not quite clipped onto a plug. Use an old plug to get the boot on so it covers most of the porcelain and the metal clip clicks onto the plug tip.

HTH,

Chris

fivespeedsteed:

Are you sure that the plug wire is snug on the plug in #6? The boots slide on the wires and it is easy to have one wire not quite clipped onto a plug. Use an old plug to get the boot on so it covers most of the porcelain and the metal clip clicks onto the plug tip.

HTH,

Chris

I think he has the full cop conversion, so no plug wires......

I still haven't figured this out. This miss is sometimes more consistant at some stoplights than others. I've changed the plug and cop out twice now just to be sure. Compression is good. Also I uave changed out the injector on that cylinder with two different known good injectors and still no luck. A noid light shows its working. But while warmed up and running if I pull the coil plug connector, the engine idle changes on every cylinder I unplug. But when I unplug the injector there is no change. But when I pull any other cylinder it does change. I'm lost and to what the issue is. I'm beginning to believe its a valve not sealing enough but at the same time enough to have a compression reading.

Change it back to the big stock coils, some of the ecu's DO NOT like the cop conversion. We just swapped my buddies 97gt to cop's and it was missing on #5, #6, #7, to the point you could unplug the injectors and it would run the same, however if you pulled the coils it would miss, so we changed injectors 3 times! We finally changed it back to stock coil packs, and it runs fantastic. This is also on a HEAVILY modded built 284ci 2v. My 98 gt ran perfectly fine with the cop conversion, but some do and some just wont run right.

By the way! I also thought it was a valve bent or something, I pulled the head off and we tested it, and it was perfect. Im telling you, just change it back to the stock coil packs and see.

Ok ill switch them back tonight when I get off from work and see what happens. Thanks for the response. If that doesn't change anything then is my next step pulling the head and taking it to a machine shop