Another satisfied Nitto DR user…

2000GT

Founding Member
Nov 30, 1999
These tires have made my car fun to drive again. I had Kumho 712’s before and they handled curves well and looked good, but they couldn’t take any aggressive launching or gear shifting. They would spin 1st and 2nd gear despite have lots of treadlife and sized at 275/40/17. If you like to spin you tires and do fishtails at will, then the Kumho’s are your tire.

The Nitto DR’s were just what I was looking for. I can now take off hard and get minimal wheel spin on the street. I don’t even have to do a burnout to have sticky traction. I am very impressed. Second gear holds as well with just a small chirp on the 1-2 shift. I am running 35 psi on the street too! As long as its warm outside, these tires stick.

Nitto DR’s in the rain – I’ll admit that I had very low expectations at first, but they actually hook in the rain better than my Kumho’s. They churn through standing water pretty well too. I am sure once the treadlife wears down, they will hydroplane pretty badly, but brand new, they work good in the rain.

I will admit that with the additional sidewall flex, they don’t handle high speeds as well. My car always felt very solid at 75 – 80 mph with the Kumho’s. I notice less responsiveness in the rear end at high speeds, but it’s manageable.

For those of you thinking about these tires, keep in mind that the traction on the Nitto’s does severely degrade as the outside temp. drops.
However, any performance tire’s traction will degrade in cool/cold weather.

• Sponsors (?)

My Pilot sports lose tons of traction when its cold. Sounds pretty similar. On a hot day they hook really well for 18s...

Next time I'm going with either Nitto 555R or possibly 555RIIs. Not really sure yet... :shrug:

JOHNS01GT said:
I keep hearing people love the nitto's. I want some but I am a little worried about my 4.10's and possibly destroying my car's rear end. Have you guys had any problems???

Never heard of that problem associated with DRs, unless you are talking about heating the tires up at the drag strip and doing repeated 5000K rpm throttle drops to launch the car. Yeah, that might not be really good for your rear end! :)

No problems to date with my 4.10/Nitto DR combo. Only four 1/4 mi passes on them, but lots of street driving. More 1/4 mi passes to come tomorrow night.