another t-5 question

• Sponsors (?)

pretty sure you have to take the tranny apart....i was askin sirsureshot about this the other day and he said you have to take the tranny apart. im just gonna buy a new tranny because mine has 195k original on it. oh well

You don't need to tear down the T-5 to get the input shaft out. Take the bearing retainer off, and you can take the in input shaft out from there. However, you need to turn it so that the part where there are no gears on the input shaft is facing the bottom of the gear box, then you can get it out. Watch to make sure that you don't drop the roller bearing that are in the back of the input shaft into the box. Also don't let the bearing and shim fall off the output shaft.

Mario

A 3-jaw puller may be able to pull the bearing off, You will need to find someone to press the new bearing on...or side a pipe down the input and hit it on. I personally wouldn't do it this way as you risk damaging the input shaft.

WHen you put it all back together, make sure you get 0.000" of endplay, but don't let it have interference. If you push/pull the input and output shaft together, there should be no play. If it was shimmed properly when you started, it should be fine, but just something to check.

Also, make sure you don't loose the roller bearings inside the tranny. Use petroleum jelly to hold them all in place when you put it in.