anti roll bar

SC2000GT

Jul 9, 2003
PA
I am looking to buy an anti roll bar kit for my car. Any opinions on what brand to buy. I was looking at wolfecraft and comp engineering. What makes one brand better than another? It looks like there isn't too much to an anti roll bar. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

If its a roll bar as in cage you are talking about i got the comp engineering one but after spending the money on the kit going and buying the tubing and having a welder fab friend would have been just as easy and less expensive.

I think he means an anti roll bar for the rear suspension for drag racing.

cee-2020.jpg

Attachments

• cee-2020.jpg
    cee-2020.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 87
There's not too many serious drag racers in here eh? I'm thinking about an anti roll bar but it's probably just too much for the street.

An anti-roll bar usually mounts above the rear axle and basically keeps both ends of the rear at the same relative distance from the body of the car. The rear can still go up and down, it just won't lean relative to the body of the car.

If you see a car launch hard at the drags and the left front wheel lifts higher in the air then the right front wheel chances are the car will want to drive to the right. It does this because torque is pushing the left hand tire down while it lifts the right hand tire. Since it's lifting the right tire traction is reduced and the tire spins. All the while the left tire is gripping harder and harder and the car is basically pushed to the right side by the left tire. An extreme example was seen on Pinks when Justin Burcham was pulling wild wheelies in a Fox and the car pulled wicked to the right.

An anti-roll helps in keeping torque from pushing that left tire down and if there is equal pressure on both rear tires traction can be optimized.

i have read articles about them in the MMFF mag. sounded like something i would like to get for my car but as you stated i'm not a serious drag racer. They were doing tests with the wildstang one i believe. It actually helped there project car huge on launch's. Thats why i was thinking it would be a good thing to get.

86bluecobra said:
it actually helped there project car huge on launch's. Thats why i was thinking it would be a good thing to get.

For the street I don't know if they can be "turned off" or easily disconnected. It would probably make for one serious rough ride if you can't though. I'm probably going to try an air bag first and see how that works out.

I was asking about a rear suspension anti roll bar.My car pulls to the right and pulls the left front higher than the right. I currently have an air bag in the right rear and a stock sway bar. Even with the air bag at 35psi it still does it.The air bag helped but it wasnt the answer.

for your application i would get one. im not the one to tell you which one is better than the other though. there are also a lot more things that will help keep the body from twisting like that. im sure you have full length subframes and a roll cage will help a lot too.