Anti-theft - Kill switch...

MikeR351w

Founding Member
Oct 8, 2001
Wisconsin
I have an 87 LX 5.0 that I just put a Vortech V-1 blower on and many other aftermarket goodies. Due to this, I want to install a kill switch in the column.

I was thinking that I could wire the kill switch into the ignition switch, since it has two wires (if I recall) going to it. I would then run a wire to a switch that I would hide somewhere under the dash so that if the car was attempted to be stolen, the car would not turn over. Is this a good idea? Is there a better place to put it? If someone were to "hot wire" the car, where would they do it? Where is the best place to add a switch and hide it? I want it near the driver or passenger area....

Mike

:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

I have an 87 LX 5.0 that I just put a Vortech V-1 blower on and many other aftermarket goodies. Due to this, I want to install a kill switch in the colum.

I was thinking that I could wire the kill switch into the ignition switch, since it has two wire (if I recall) going to it. I would then run a wire to a switch that I would hide somewhere under the dash so that if the car was attempted to be stolen, the car would not turn over. Is this a good idea? Is there a better place to put it? If someone were to "hot wire" the car, where would they do it? Where is the best place to add a switch and hide it? I want it near the driver or passenger area....

Mike

:SNSign:

Why not just take out the fuel pump relay under the seat when you leave?

I've never been able to pull out that relay without having a wrestling match. I just spliced a switch inbetween the red wire on the relay under the seat... find a hiding spot for the switch and you're good.

That's kind of what I've been thinking of doing with both of my cars. Given, my cars are both junk, but some people will steal ANYTHING just because it's there and just because they can. :shrug:

Basically, anything that interrupts the completion of the circuit for your ignition or your fuel pump will work. I would say a fuel pump kill switch would be a better idea because something that disables, say, the starter would be easy enough to get around - either push-start the car or lay a screwdriver across the starter relay posts - but if there's no fuel going, there's no driving gonna be goin' on. The REAL trick is placing the switch somewhere that a thief won't think to look, but somewhere that it's convenient enough that you're not making it such a PITA to start your own car that you hate to park it anywhere.

Someone had a groovy idea once of making it where you needed to push in the cigarette lighter to start the car, but I dunno if they ever figured out how to make that actually happen. I always had some goofy idea of having a row of switches and you would have to have a certain two out of five switches on to complete the circuit - a bit overly elaborate, but you could put it in plain sight and someone would have to know the right "combination" to get the car to start. You could label each of the switches numerically, or put things under them like "Death Ray," "Oil Slick," "Machine Gun," or whatever else, just for humorous effect. Plus I suppose it would give you kind of a NASCAR/aircraft feel with having to flick switches on before you could crank the ignition. :D

Follow this tech note for the best way to wire a fuel pump kill or anti-theft switch...

On 86- 91 cars the fuel pump relay is under the driver’s seat, 92 and later cars, the fuel pump relay is under the Mass air duct on the passenger
fender well.

Note that the wire colors changed in 1991, so there are two different descriptions.

86-90 model cars:
Cut the red/black wire going to the fuel pump relay. Splice a 16 or 18 gauge wire into the wire and connect it to one side of the switch.
Connect the other side of the switch to the other end of the red/black wire going to the fuel pump relay. When you are done the switch
should be in the middle of the spliced red/black wire that goes to and comes from the fuel pump relay. Using the control side of the circuit
allows you to use light gauge wire and light duty switches. There is less than 1 amp going through the circuit, so you don’t have to worry
about voltage drop across the wiring depriving the fuel pump of electrical power.

attachment.php

91-93 model cars:
Cut the Red wire going to the fuel pump relay. Splice a 16 or 18 gauge wire into the wire and connect it to one side of the switch. Connect
the other side of the switch to the other end of the Red wire going to the fuel pump relay. When you are done the switch should be in the
middle of the spliced Red wire that goes to and comes from the fuel pump relay. Using the control side of the circuit allows you to use light
gauge wire and light duty switches. There is less than 1 amp going through the circuit, so you don’t have to worry about voltage drop across
the wiring depriving the fuel pump of electrical power.

attachment.php

diagram of the wiring for 91-93 cars.

Attachments

• Fuel pump kill switch 91-93 5.0 Mustang.gif
    Fuel pump kill switch 91-93 5.0 Mustang.gif
    65.2 KB · Views: 4,870
Are there any other wires we can wire a kill-switch into?

I am going to do the fuel pump kill swithc like above, but a lot of Mustangers already know about this.

Is there anything else i cna disable? Maybe some sort of ignition kill switch or something on the coil?

just because you wire the switch into the fuel pump relay doesnt mean that you have to mount the switch by the relay wiring. you can mount the switch anywhere you desire, and run ample gauge to and from it. because its just the control circuit it doesnt require anything major. i wont go into any of the myrid of places you could easily hide a switch, but be creative, and secretive.

I've done the relay kill switch, I mounted my switch in the bottom of the cigarette lighter tray. With the door closed you have no idea it's there, with it open it blends in (hidden in plain sight). But since then I have disabled it and bought an outragously expensive alarm that does all that I need.

I know this is an old post, but I have a quick question. I am gettin ready to wire in a fuel pump cut-off switch on my 92 Mustang. the thing is, that I have done a 5.0 conversion so the body harness (with the fuel pump wiring) is still 4cyl. my question is:: where is the fuel pump relay on the 4cyl, and how would I wire in the cut off switch? just tap into the black/pink wire that runs along the drivers side carpet area and be done??

Thanks for any quick help
--Ryan

I've been under the assumption that 92 model does not have the fuel pump relay under the seat and was integrated into the main MAF harness the same as a 93 model. If that's true then your 92 fuel pump relay is in the engine bay.

I've been under the assumption that 92 model does not have the fuel pump relay under the seat and was integrated into the main MAF harness the same as a 93 model. If that's true then your 92 fuel pump relay is in the engine bay.

ok, my question is then:: I am using a speed density engine harness with the FRP Mass Air Conversion Harness, so does that mean I don't have a fuel pump relay? that's not good. :shrug: