Any blower guys have problems with belt dust?

RacEoHolic330

I like to dress like a pretty girl
15 Year Member
Mar 4, 2003
Allentown, PA
Ever since I put my Vortech on my car a while ago, I've always had problems with belt dust on the main serpentine belt. Lately my belt has been squeaking when I start my car up when the engine is cold. And I'm noticing a lot of belt dust all over the place and its beginning to piss me off. I'm just wondering what usually is out of alignment so I know where to put a washer or do an adjustment to reduce belt dust. Hopefully some of you guys have battled this issue before.

• Sponsors (?)

No belt dust here but I see you're running 14lbs of boost on a stock bottom end, does this car see high rpm's regular? Is it intercooled? I have 9lbs and I'm scared to try any more boost with out blowing a piston though the block. Also I'm tuning with pms, how much timing are you running up top? Just interested, seems like we have a close combo.

Yeah I didn't think the car could see too much abuse with that much boost. I know how my car runs with just 9lbs of boost, I run mine pretty hard, when I drive it's for a purpose and that's to run the hell out of it. Anyway, nice setup.

BlueBomber said:
wouldn't the bigger pulley increase your boost dramatically? I'm having this exact same problem!

no, i think a bigger sized pulley would create less rotations per minute when compared to a smaller one...hence creating less boost? If im thinking about it correctly, a smaller pulley will turn it faster than a bigger one...its late though...back to homework...

BlueBomber said:
wouldn't the bigger pulley increase your boost dramatically? I'm having this exact same problem!

Bigger Pulley = Less Boost

Smaller Pulley = More Boost

Think about it Bomber.. it'll come to ya :rolleyes:

And Raceaholic... I USED to get belt dust problems with my Vortech. I then purchased a second Idle tensioner to go on top of my old one. (im sure u've seen them before, just a piece of steel with a set screw in it to hold the idle pulley down).

You would be AMAZED at how tight the belt can be done without much effort if you have a second tensioner. Either way, I got mine and no more dust, as well as a 1# increase in boost!

This may or may not be your problem, but you asked how other people fixed their problems so there ya go :rolleyes:

My problem is not dust coming from the blower belt though. It's dust coming from the STOCK serpentine accessory belt. My blower belt is fine. I don't know if something is out of alignment or not?

yeah guys i'm talking about crank pulley size. If your SC pulley at the crank is bigger the boost will increase. I was thinking about it that way because on my kit i change the crank pulley to adjust. Yeah Raceoholic i'm having the same deal going on. I think it's the serpentine as well

My dust was from the SC belt. Yes you lose a little boost...15 vs 17 but with no slippage you are more consistent. My belt has 0 problems and like I said I'm putting 603 to the wheels. If you change the bottom pulley (crank) you will gain more torque than hp. A lot of cobra owners change the bottom pulley and see well over 500ft of torque with like 470hp.

if you're talking about having a tighter belt then i think you will actually gain boost rather than lose boost with the tighter belt. and in my setup which is basically dual crank pulleys (one for supercharger, one for accesories) it won't change torque more than hp or vice versa. it's basically just about creating boost and that's done by spinning the blower either at the top or bottom.

RacEoHolic330 said:
Ever since I put my Vortech on my car a while ago, I've always had problems with belt dust on the main serpentine belt. Lately my belt has been squeaking when I start my car up when the engine is cold. And I'm noticing a lot of belt dust all over the place and its beginning to piss me off. I'm just wondering what usually is out of alignment so I know where to put a washer or do an adjustment to reduce belt dust. Hopefully some of you guys have battled this issue before.

to get back to the question you are actually asking, i used to see a lot of dust off my serpentine belt. right up to the point where it flew off. check all the alinements on the pullies. mine happen to be the p.s. wich was just a touch off, but thats all it takes. threw a washer behind it and no more dust.

make sure the belt isn't touching between the tensioner pulley and the water pump pulley. Do you see either edge of the belt wearing? If not, it's not an alignment issue. You may need either a new belt or even a shorter belt.

I know the belt isn't touching between the water pump and tensioner. I've delt with that issue already, heh. I think my PS pulley is off because there is a crapload of dust all over it and even on upper intake. I'll take a look at it and check the alignment again.