Any gain going from shorties to longtubes?

• Sponsors (?)

mike keirstead said:
That's a huge increase. Did you change anything else on the car. IE traction, suspension, gears......anything. That is a really big increase for just exhaust. Maybe your CATS were plugged or something. I don't doubt it though. I noticed a difference. I just wish it was as big as you.

I saw 2.1 mph and 2/10. I was happy.

The longtube power loss IS NOT TRUE. I saw it over a year ago on a dyno.

AXIStang----get the longtubes. But stay with the 2 1/2 piping.

Well on the 13.0 run there was...

The car went 13.89 but had 17s up front (I ran it with skinnies and it went slower, go figure). Then I added the pulleys, exhaust mods, and a new rack and the car went 13.21 the next time to the track.

Then I rebuilt the Tloc after it went and the car went 13.05!

Just to toss my $.02...Now I don't want to rain on anyones parade but could it be possible that for those of you that say that long tubes don't eat up low end TQ is that the engine actually revs faster allowing the RPM's to go up much faster and smoother and therefore you just don't notice the loss of low end TQ? I think so...Low end TQ is 1500 RPM to 2500RPM...shorties WILL give you more low end but not as much HP and TQ as the LT's will in the mid to high RPM's...that is basically the main difference. For superchared applications...well believe it or not but if you are looking for the best possible drivability and are not concerned with peak HP...you will be better off with shorties since a centerfugal supercharger starts to make power at about 3000RPM...from then on it just keeps on pulling. However, you will add more peak HP and TQ with LT's but you will sacrifice low end...is it enough to notice...maybe it really depends on other variables such as rear end gear etc...

Highbredcloud said:
Just to toss my $.02...Now I don't want to rain on anyones parade but could it be possible that for those of you that say that long tubes don't eat up low end TQ is that the engine actually revs faster allowing the RPM's to go up much faster and smoother and therefore you just don't notice the loss of low end TQ? I think so...Low end TQ is 1500 RPM to 2500RPM...shorties WILL give you more low end but not as much HP and TQ as the LT's will in the mid to high RPM's...that is basically the main difference. For superchared applications...well believe it or not but if you are looking for the best possible drivability and are not concerned with peak HP...you will be better off with shorties since a centerfugal supercharger starts to make power at about 3000RPM...from then on it just keeps on pulling. However, you will add more peak HP and TQ with LT's but you will sacrifice low end...is it enough to notice...maybe it really depends on other variables such as rear end gear etc...

Where are the dyno graphs to prove your "theory"? :rolleyes:

Highbredcloud said:
it's not a "theory" its real life...it's like comparing short runners on an intake to long runners on an intake and arguing that they both are the same... :rolleyes:

:doh: Produce the dyno graphs. There have been numerous graphs posted here that show an across the board increase with longtubes. No graph=no proof=theory. :bang:

cevtv said:
:doh: Produce the dyno graphs. There have been numerous graphs posted here that show an across the board increase with longtubes. No graph=no proof=theory. :bang:

Sure I'll give you a piece of paper that prove me right...right after you give me the money for the dyno session O.K? :lol: But really you are right in a way...LT's will give you more ACROSS the board increase but low end is still low end...maybe not enough for YOU to notice. Ever notice how a catted H or X pipe feels more torquey in low RPM's but doesn't compare to a catless H or X in the mid to high RPM's? Really it's the same concept. LT's will give the peak HP and TQ though.

Highbredcloud said:
Sure I'll give you a piece of paper that prove me right...right after you give me the money for the dyno session O.K? :lol: But really you are right in a way...LT's will give you more ACROSS the board increase but low end is still low end...maybe not enough for YOU to notice. Ever notice how a catted H or X pipe feels more torquey in low RPM's but doesn't compare to a catless H or X in the mid to high RPM's? Really it's the same concept. LT's will give the peak HP and TQ though.

:bs: I never lost a single ft/lb or hp anywhere in the rpm range. It's a myth.

mike keirstead said:
:bs: I never lost a single ft/lb or hp anywhere in the rpm range. It's a myth.

:lol: Come on Mike...Just because YOU didn't lose a singe ft/lb or hp in the RPM range makes this a myth huh? :rlaugh: There's plenty of reputable engine builders that ONLY stay with shorties and argue that LT's aren't worth the hassel...but I guess they don't know what they are talking about either... :rolleyes: Besides that all matters on the rest of the set up as well. If you have a cam that starts to make power at 3K RPM you'll definately notice the loss of low end...so what can you do to get that back? I'm sure you know but enlighten me anyways.