any honda 4wheeler/atv mechanics out there?

fiveoho

15 Year Member
Apr 28, 2005
TN
just purchased a 92 honda fourtrax 250x. i bought it knowing that the bike would not start by kickstarting it. however, i can roll start it and it will fire. it did not run well when i done this but it did run. with the help of a local atv mechanic ( he's had his repair shop for 30 years ), we have done all of the following : adjusted the intake and exhaust valves, new ngk plug, fresh oil /filter, cleaned the existing k&n air filter, cleaned the carb, changed the switch ( lights, run, stop ) and wiring with that (cleaned those contacts),emtpied the gas tank and cleaned it.....still it will not kickstart. again, i can roll it off and once its running (seems hard to get started that way), its fine. runs like a champ. i ran it for 30 min today. cut it off, waited another 30 and it kicked 1st try. waited 2 hrs and tried it again, nothing. pulled the plug it doesnt even seem to have a spark. also tried a couple of CDI boxes that were used, but suppose to be good. same problem.

could this be the stator? hopefully looking to get some confident answers. just hate to keep sinking money into it and it still not be right. at this point , along with everything listed above i am $860 into the bike. that includes the $600 i gave for it and a few other things like grips, handlebar pad and a sticker kit. its clean to be a 92 model and tight. we also put axle bearings and rear pads on it.

thanks for everyones time.

• Sponsors (?)

no points.

if i can roll start it, i can generate a lot more spark doing it that way rather than just by kicking it. which may be just enough spark to get that stator working to fire the bike. as long as there is heat in the motor, it runs perfect and starts perfect.