Any hunters in the crowd?? ***pics***

gingerbreadman

Only half-baked
Founding Member
Jan 17, 2002
Go ahead, call me cheaky
Got em a couple weeks ago, Didnt bother gettin him scored as its a non typical and a 3x4 but hes a nice prime buck for this region.

I had been walking most the morning and came accross him about 700 yards off the highway (accroding to the gps) I scene him on the hogback accross from me. Wasn't a very long shot but through the brush. He dropped with one shot but he was thrashing so I let him have another. I was alone and he was too heavy to drag back up to the truck so I decided to drag him down to the highway below. I was dragging him down the hogback and he got away from me and tumbled down into the valley. I was pretty screwed so I left him and met my bud back down at the highway we got a ride back into town and back up to my truck with my quad. I thrashed the quad up the mountain, winched him outa the valley and dragged him back down to my truck. He made a nice batch of pepperoni and garlic sausage.

-gbm-

heres the pics.:nice: :canada:
joshsdeer3.JPG

joshsdeer4.JPG

joshsdeer18.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

NICE BUCK!:nice:

i've been going for a few seasons and have yet to get myself one but hopefully that will change.

you just dont see that many with that size spread down here.

i'm running out of weekends- this weekend is the last of the season for me.:bang:

Nice muley! It took awhle to get to see the pics. I had to open the quote reply page and cut and paste your img code into the address bar. Stangnet isn't letting me see them in the post.

Anyway, where abouts did you get it (management unit)? Was it Limited Entry?

Nice rack! Look at the spread on them babies! :lol:
Sorry, I've been hanging out with some real horn-dawgs recently (job thing); so it just came naturally :nonono:

1320stang said:
What did he dress out at? What species?
Same question from me. Looks like he might have dressed out at about 65-75 lbs; about "high average" for mulies around here. (Mesquite and palo verde trees just don't put much fat on a deer).

It's been so long since I went deer hunting uo in the Kofa's, I've forgotten how hard that ol' lightweight .270 kicks :rolleyes: Which is saying nothing of going North after anything larger..... It's been so long since Pop's 98 Mauser punched me in the shoulder that I don't even wince when I think about it anymore :nonono:

I Dont have a scale so i couldnt weigh him. What is dressed weight? is that with hide on and guts out? or as he lies whole? I have shot plenty of "average" deer and they have weighed around 120 ish pounds gutted. This deer was much larger then that id say he was 200 pounds dead weight loading him into the truck. I really dont know but I have dragged deer outa the bush before and tho this one isnt a trophy hes a nice larger then average deer.

I shot him in region 3/ sub region 28 (i think? have to check the regs) The exact location for you map gurus was (nad 83) 10 687199E 5633122N 1689 ft above sea level, I dont know what the lat/long would be of that I havent learned that old "pain in the ass" system. Bucks in this region are not limited entry there is a open season on them from sept 1 to dec 10 but it changes as the season goes usually it is sept 1 - sept 10 youth season only can hunt(under 14 or something like that), sept 10- sept 31 4 points on one side or better not including brow tine,oct 1 - oct 31 any buck, nov1 - dec 10 4 points or better.

I shot him in any buck season, the 4 points or better season is a pain in the ass cause it takes time to count the points and sometimes the deer dont stick around long enough for that. And I have scene some pretty damn big 3 points.

I used to shoot a .270 win aswell. I took down deer, moose and bears with it. It wouldnt be my choice of calibers but if a guy can shoot it is plenty adequite. In my hand there is my current thunder stick. Its a remington 700 lss in 300 ultra mag. Its way way overkill for most situations and it has one hell of a kick if your not acustom to shooting but it has alot of power. That deer was shot with a 180 hornady spire point flat base bullet doing approx 3300 fps. I probly should hunt these little deer with my .270 or buy another 30.06 because The first shot hit him through the lungs and went into the back side of the front quarter, When I skinned him I just cut that whole quarter off with it as there was nothing left. With a calber like that if your a meat hunter and make a bad shot (say in the ass) you mide aswell walk away and find another deer.

-gbm-

66StangFastback said:
Dressed is hide on and guts out. I guess you guys don't have to check in deer when you bag them? Usua;;y they have scales at check-in stations. I'm sure the regs are wayyyy different up there in Canada though.

Oh theres plenty of different rules for different species and different areas. some systems you send in a tooth for inspection and some you have to take to a "inspection" station aswell.

-gbm-

anyone else remember when Josh (gbm) would not post any pictures of himself :D

I havent shot a deer since 1997. That was a puny white tail in south dakota.

now that I am in Oregon again, I will start after the black tails again. I got a tag last year, but I did not have a whole lot of time to make it out. I think I only went seriously once.

This year, I was broke and could not afford to buy the tags. Plus I forgot until after the season started.

I was going to say, if that's dressed out @ 65#-70#, Josh is an Oompa Loompa, he's carrying a .22 and he's riding a 50cc 4-wheeler. It looks close to 200# to me as well.

Mule deer, huh. We have the white tail variety here and they usually weigh 80-110 gutted.

1320stang said:
I was going to say, if that's dressed out @ 65#-70#, Josh is an Oompa Loompa, he's carrying a .22 and he's riding a 50cc 4-wheeler.....
:nono:No, Josh is a Gingerbreadman! Which would Josh mis-typed the species....it's NOT a MULE DEER, but a DEER MOUSE!:nonono:

BTW.............What's the size comparision between an Oompa Loompa and a GBM?:shrug: