Any idea what eng. this is ????

79dog

Founding Member
Oct 26, 2002
Sunny Fl.
Can you tell by the pics if this is a 289 or 302? The distrib. seems really small to be a 302 but I'm not sure. Also, I need valve cover gaskets, not sure what to tell the parts people about the year.
Pic # 1
Pic # 2
Pic # 3
Any help out there????? Thanks....if you need more info, just let me know.

• Sponsors (?)

Appears to be a 289 judging by the oil dipstick in the front cover. BUT, it could be a 302 with a 289 cover. Does it have a dipstick hole in the lower drivers side of the block near the rear ? Sometimes they are plugged when using an early front cover.

I believe your right there. Just called discount and they said 289 to 351 valve covers are all the same. The thing I'm wondering about is when I do a tune up? I guess I'll have to take the dist. cap up and have them match it?

damannhw said:
Appears to be a 289 judging by the oil dipstick in the front cover. BUT, it could be a 302 with a 289 cover.

Or it could be an early 302 with an early 302 front cover :p Like geostang351 said, it's almost impossible to tell just by exterior pictures.

About the only way to make an educated guess would be to look at the block casting number. If it starts with C8, C9, D0, etc, it is very likely a 302. If it starts with a C, but the following number is less than 8, its probably a 289. The only important between the '60s 289s and 302s was displacement.

The front cover and water pump show it be a post 1970 engine, because of the water pump outlet being on the drivers side. Water pumps and timing covers are interchangeable amongst the years though. The thermostat housing has a vacuum riser on it, so its probably from the early emissions days at least, say 69-up. The distributor has no provision for a vacuum advance so its either from an early windsor based engine (260, early 289) or its an aftermarket piece. 302's had the dipstick hole in the timing cover until sometime in the 80's when they switched to the serpentine belt system. I'm betting its a 302, or a pieced together 289.

As far as tune parts, most of the stuff is the same. You'll have to find out if it uses the large or small sparks plugs, that will be determined by the year of the heads. Looks like you're still running a "points" ignition, they'll be the same, nearly all the 60's Fords used the same point set. Cap and rotor will be pretty standard also, along with the plug wires, typical for any mid 60's ford V8. Oil filter will be a motorcraft FL1A, ditch the orange Fram piece.

When I pulled the valve covers off, the heads say 302 on them. Someone put on a torker 302 intake and a edlebrock carb. The casting #'s would be under the intake right???? The part that has me confused is the small distributor cap. The wires don't seem to fit either. Maybe whoever did this didn't know what they had, but it did change owners by the time I bought it.
More idea's are welcome here....what do I do next?

65ShelbyClone said:
About the only way to make an educated guess would be to look at the block casting number. If it starts with C8, C9, D0, etc, it is very likely a 302. If it starts with a C, but the following number is less than 8, its probably a 289. The only important between the '60s 289s and 302s was displacement.

This is a good start. Also, those are early 302 Valve Covers, so I am guessing early 302.

If it is peiced together the only real way to find out what it is is to get the #s off the crank. Everything is interchangable between them. I wouldnt worry about it too much, just call it a 302. I learned on that one. I used to say my car had a 289 in it and everybody would be like "what! put a 302 or 351 in it!" I hated that. I ended up pulling the engine for soemthing and i found out it had a 302 in it. So i was glad to tell everybody it had a 302 in it. Now i am back to a 289 in it though. (See sig)
So to make a long story short, i dont realy think it maks that big a difference. Maybe a couple of horsepower... if that.

PoliceInterceptor, I think your right there. Maybe a Mallory, it's a two point setup. One has been taken off at the present time. And like you said there's no vac advance. Any idea's what it might be????

FWIW, the original 289 in my 68 had a 302 block.. they switched over during the production run I guess..

looks like a mallory, but it's hard to say.. take the points out and try and match them.. by the time you buy all the parts, you might just buy a new distributor.. you'll KNOW what you have... might look into electronic too..

Well it's a Mallory. I ordered the parts from discount and it was $65. Hell of a price for a tune up.........I do have a question though. With a Mallory distributor, it shouldn't change the firing order should it? Firing order should be 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. According to there order it's 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8, weird part is it seems to run and idle fine. Maybe the distrib is out 180. Would that make sense?????? And like I said in my last post, they was only using one of the point sets. Would that make a difference????? Thanks guys..........

Edit: I just realized that's the firing order for a 302 H.O.