Any idea what's wrong w/ my tranny?

97StallionGT

Apr 6, 2005
Easley, SC
For the past couple days my tranny has been acting funny. When i put it in reverse and let the clutch out, the car kinda jumps and acts like it's going to slip outta gear. 2nd gear feels very weak when i start out in 2nd. Also, last nite the tranny was making a lot of noise, kinda like a ticking or grinding sound. Is my tranny crappin out on me? It was either replaced or rebuilt about 2 yrs ago and before I bought it, can't remember.

• Sponsors (?)

Could be low on fluid. Mine used to be quite noisy(rattling and stuff) until I changed to synthetic and topped her right up. Check you stops on the shifter and check that the shifter base hasn't moved around on the tranny itself,that'll throw the stops out of whack and make it not fully engage gears.

15-20 minutes.

remove the drain plug on the dottom with a 3/8 extension, plug it, open the fill valve, pump 3.5 or was it 2.5 quarts of RP Synchromax or GM Synchromesh, enjoy.

Maybe your clutch is gone? Drive up a steep hill in a numerically high gear. If your car revs and doesnt move, your clutch is slipping.

Stang|ess said:
15-20 minutes.

remove the drain plug on the dottom with a 3/8 extension, plug it, open the fill valve, pump 3.5 or was it 2.5 quarts of RP Synchromax or GM Synchromesh, enjoy.

Maybe your clutch is gone? Drive up a steep hill in a numerically high gear. If your car revs and doesnt move, your clutch is slipping.

i'll try that, thanks

97StallionGT said:
i'll try that, thanks

Before you go through the whole fluid change ... Just take out the FILL plug and stick your pinky finger in there. The fluid should be level with the bottom of the hole (pinky should get trans fluid on it). If it doesn't then add some fluid until it's level with the bottom of the hole and see if that helps. To add fluid you will need a suction pump sold at any auto parts store or you can pour it into trans. where the shifter goes (have to remove shifter). My 2 penniez. :)