Any interest in RPM/MPH Gear Ratio Charts??

gp001

Founding Member
Jun 30, 2001
So. Cal.
Hey All,
I have done alot of these in the past for the people in the Classics forums and was wondering if I should crank out a bunch for some common 05 GT combinations for those considering rear end gear ratio changes, or even tire size changes. Below is a link to the chart I made for my 66 Mustang when I was doing my 6 speed swap. I made charts for every tansmission/rear end gear combo I was contemplating so I could easily see how fast first gear would wind out, cruising rpm for the freeway, etc... I could look at any gear and rpm and quickly see what my mph would be. I could also look at a particular mph in a particular gear and compare the rpm to the rpm for the same mph in a different gear.
If you guys/gals think it would be useful let me know which rear gear ratios you would like to see and some common tire sizes. I'm sure most people are going to be right around the 27" overall diameter (stock diameter) but if you have a different size post the combo here and I will do the chart.
If you guys/gals think I'm nuts and it would be a waste of bandwidth then tell me that too :D

RPM/MPH Gear ratio chart

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, there are many online calculators out there, but they only give a small snapshot. I found them somewhat useless when trying to make my decision because I had to continually re-enter data to compare the changes. In my case I was comparing 4 different trannys and 3 different rear gear combos. As you can imagine, entering the data for all them to see results for different situations (RPM, MPH) would take forever with those type of calculators. I found it easier to print out the charts and mull them over at the 2MFF R&D Department (AKA the coffee house). I was able to quickly see where one combo would give me good cruising RPM, but my acceleration would suffer. I know these charts have proved to be useful to the Classics people, and I will be doing them to see if I want to do a gear change on my 05, so I just thought there might be some interest in here.

gp001 said:
Yes, there are many online calculators out there, but they only give a small snapshot. I found them somewhat useless when trying to make my decision because I had to continually re-enter data to compare the changes. In my case I was comparing 4 different trannys and 3 different rear gear combos. As you can imagine, entering the data for all them to see results for different situations (RPM, MPH) would take forever with those type of calculators. I found it easier to print out the charts and mull them over at the 2MFF R&D Department (AKA the coffee house). I was able to quickly see where one combo would give me good cruising RPM, but my acceleration would suffer. I know these charts have proved to be useful to the Classics people, and I will be doing them to see if I want to do a gear change on my 05, so I just thought there might be some interest in here.

Let us know when you get them finished. :nice: