Any of you 5.0 guys looked into the megasquirt ECU?

ForceFed70

That's why they call it "dope"
Founding Member
Dec 6, 1999
BC Canada
Websites:
http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html
http://www.msefi.com/

Like the title says... have any of you looked at this ECU? What are your thoughts? I'm currently in the process of converting my 70 to EFI and I think I'm going to use this ECU.

For those of you not familiar with megasquirt, here's a little background:
One day a couple of very smart guys got together and designed their own ECU. This ECU they wanted to be able to work on any car..and they wanted it to be 100% programmable. And they did it! Now instead of selling the ECU's to the public for big $$, they released the plans, schematics, and code to the public. They then offered to sell you the only component that the average guy couldn't build themselves...the PCB (printed circuit board). And even with this.. they only charge about $50 for the PCB... making themselves about $10 profit on each one.

Now just here we have a cool idea and a cool product. But it's the "open source" nature of the megasquirt that has made it an unbelieveable product. Since the schematics and code are open source, other smart people have since published "improvements" to allow you to do anything from water injection, to nitrous controll, to launch control...and much more. Again.. for free..just costs you the time to do it, and the few $$ in electrical components.

Right now you can buy kits to build your own megasquirt. Cost is about $190 and includes everything you would need. For you 5.0 guys, this is all you would need as your vehicles are already EFI so all the hardware is already there. Since it's 100% programmable you program the ECU to be compatible with your EFI equipment...Ford TPS, GM IAC, Hyundai injectors...it doesn't matter. For the cost of a couple of custom burnt performance chips, you could have an ECU that is 100% programmable with a laptop..no more chips. The other nice feature is datalogging.. you can datalog your 1/4mile trip then review the log at your leisure to see exactly what happened during your run.

Somthing like this makes a turbo or supercharger install a breeze. Simple re-rune for the power adder and your done (if you don't need to upgrade fuel system that is).

I'm just scratching the surface here as to what can be done with this thing. It's basically just a computer that you program to do anything you want. For more info check out the links at the top.

• Sponsors (?)