Any of yous running an X-303 cam?

dreddstang

Founding Member
Aug 26, 2002
Waldorf, MD
I am about to tear into my motor again in about a month. Here's the plan:

I HAVE an X-303 cam (none of this is in the car yet), 1.6 r/r's, and Novi 2000 suuuupercharger.

I NEED new pushrods (might as well :shrug: ), new timing chain (same here), and decided on Twisted Wedge heads.

Then I'll put it all together.

I have 1.7 r/r's in the car now, but I know they won't work with the X without flycutting the pistons, which I want to aviod. Don't wanna have to take the bottom end apart if I don't have to.

My ? is: am I gonna have clearance problems (piston to valve) with the 1.6's and the X cam, or should it be alright. By what I have calculated, it should be ok, just wanna check with someone else who knows or already runs a similar setup.

Thanks. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

547 I beleive, have it written down at home. I have seen a couple blower cars running X cams and they work VERY well! Just not sure about the rest, because that is kindof alot of lift. More than the B I am currently running. :D

542 according to the FRPP catalog. IMHO, the X-cam is the best bang for the buck if you want more cam and like to stick with an off-the-shelf cam. A custom grind will just about always be superior, but it will also cost you more and be mroe difficult to replace. In most cities, you can go to a local FRPP authorized dealer and they'll have the cam in stock. But then again, how often do you replace your camshaft?

Why would it make a good blower cam if its bleeding off your boost? Besides, its exhaust duration that will kill the power from a blower because if the exhaust opening overlaps with the intake then youll bleed off compression; this is a bad thing. The X-303 does NOT have a lot of duration and in fact its the same amount of duration as the E-303, but it just has more lift. The B cam has more duration but less lift and is designed for NA engines. If you are concerned about clearing the pistons you can run the E-303 with 1.7 rockers. Its the same duration as the X and a little less lift. The X-303 is 224/224 and .542/.542, but E-303 with 1.7's would be 224/224 and .528/.528. The E is also great for superchargers so I would suggest that if you cant clear with the X. I am running the X but with aftermarket pistons and it runs great with my supercharger. Hope this helps out. Call Trickflow to find out for sure how much lift you can do but I think the X is pushing it even with 1.6's.

You'll most likely have clearance issues with the X cam, the TFS Stage II is supposed to be the same as an AFM B-4 but it is also large but may work with the TFS heads.

You want .100 clearance on the intake and .080 on the exhaust minimum

I see you changed your mind on the heads?

The 185's will be better with the blower combo, and looks like your going to need to flycut or repace those pistons anyway ;) I have a set of DSS pistons here .030 over....

My combo in my last coupe was Twisted wedge/ X303 w/ 1.6's no problem. Everyone said it wouldnt be possible, but after checking clearances, it went fine. Also, for what was in the car, it ran strong. Still people question that combo, and who knows maybe i was reaal close to the limit, but it worked.

mcjc00 said:
My combo in my last coupe was Twisted wedge/ X303 w/ 1.6's no problem. Everyone said it wouldnt be possible, but after checking clearances, it went fine. Also, for what was in the car, it ran strong. Still people question that combo, and who knows maybe i was reaal close to the limit, but it worked.

Hmmmm, see RIck, this makes me want to reconsider the AFR's with my combo. I spoke to the guys at Talon Engines this weekend (they build Justin Burcham's motors for the 50Resto cars, and happen to be right next to Espeut's Performance, the shop that sponsors our local club) and they told me the same thing. Stay with the 160 AFR's and try those, but they also told me the TW heads would definately work with no issues, they've done it several times before.

Decisions, decisions! :shrug: