Any one ever use a flaming river tilt column???

• Sponsors (?)

I'm in the process of installing one in my '70 Mach 1. It's not a direct bolt-in - for my car, I had to move the ignition to the dash (there is no switch on the column). - The wiring comes more set up for a Chevy - with an adapter kit. I went with the Flaming River steering box (and also a T5 install) at the same time, so I'm ainxious to drive the car. when I do I'll let you know how it comes out.

By all acounts, its supposed to be a nice piece, but for that kind of cash it didn't seem worth it for me. I really wanted a tilt column to help with ingress and egress (since I'm a big guy), so pops was able to combine my original column with a tilt column from a '70s Lincoln. Now I've got a very nice stock looking and functioning tilt column, with OEM safety features, all for a grand total investment of $10 (the cost of the Lincoln column). Here are a couple pics for reference...

Just to update everyone:

Installed a 33" stainless tilt column from flaming river into my 67 Coupe.........AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great product! Great Company!

Highly recommend it..........I got Summit to pricematch and it cost me $258.00 for a complete brand new Stainless Steel tilt column with a 3 year warranty! Beat that. :nice:

67GTCOUPE said:
Just to update everyone:

Installed a 33" stainless tilt column from flaming river into my 67 Coupe.........AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great product! Great Company!

Highly recommend it..........I got Summit to pricematch and it cost me $258.00 for a complete brand new Stainless Steel tilt column with a 3 year warranty! Beat that. :nice:

Thanks for the info. I have a '65, and one of my concerns is the big long steering shaft pointing at my chest! Does this column have a collapsable shaft?
:shrug:

Nope, they don't. My '68's column has a section about a foot long that's kind of french-fry shaped (like the frozen crinkle ones you get at the grocery store) down near the bottom where it's designed to collapse if your body hits it, the FR units don't have this.

joncash said:
Nope, they don't. My '68's column has a section about a foot long that's kind of french-fry shaped (like the frozen crinkle ones you get at the grocery store) down near the bottom where it's designed to collapse if your body hits it, the FR units don't have this.

Hmmm, thanks for the info. Has anyone ever tried adapting a Ford late model column to an early 'Stang?

racerxlilbro -

I had the same question, and this is what I found out from Flaming River: The standard kit column from Flaming River is not a collapsable column. However, a collapsable column can be substituted for an additional cost. I forget the specific amount, but it was in the neighborhood of 150-200 extra.

Here's the email to contact Flaming River directly: [email protected]

Chris

DarkBuddha said:
By all acounts, its supposed to be a nice piece, but for that kind of cash it didn't seem worth it for me. I really wanted a tilt column to help with ingress and egress (since I'm a big guy), so pops was able to combine my original column with a tilt column from a '70s Lincoln. Now I've got a very nice stock looking and functioning tilt column, with OEM safety features, all for a grand total investment of $10 (the cost of the Lincoln column). Here are a couple pics for reference...

didnt get the pics.

I am very intrested in how this was done as I have a 70's Lincoln sitting in my driveway, a waiting its demise.

67GTCOUPE - Nice work, post some pictures. How much time did you invest in the installation? And PS: Please change your avatar.

DarkBuddha - Where are those pics you promised?

modmach1 - I don't understand how the FR piece would function as a steering column if it was a grate?

racerxlilbro - Sounds like DarkBuddha may have a solution.

Sorry, I don't know what's wrong with me tonight.

Tim